Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Art galleries? 2009/8/3 12:37
Hi, I'm heading to Japan in a few weeks, and am just wondering if anyone could recommend a good art gallery? Searches aren't really coming up with much.

I'll be travelling from Kyoto to Tokyo, so anywhere around there would be great. Perferably more the classical Japanese sorts of art-- ukioy-e, painted screens, etc-- rather than the modern sort.

Anyone been to any really nice galleries they'd like to share?
by Az (guest)  

... 2009/8/3 17:16
A few of the best art museums of Tokyo are introduced here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3054_art.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Ota in Harajuku/ Kawai Kanjiro in Kyoto 2009/8/3 19:37
The Ota Memorial Art Museum was beautiful: totally ukiyo-e, and superb collection.
If you also like ceramics the Kawai Kanjiro Memorial Hall in Kyoto is amazing for Kanjiro's own ceramics, and hand made furniture, as well as climbing kiln and biscuit firing kiln, in his traditional home. The Raku Museum is also a good ceramics museum in Kyoto
by fmj rate this post as useful

galleries? or museums? 2009/8/3 21:48
Do you mean galleries where the art is for sale? Or museums, where it is not? As far as Tokyo, I heartily second the Ota Museum, as it has a wonderful ukiyo-e print collection that rotates frequently, just be sure to check before hand as they close normally for about a week between rotations.

Tokyo National Museum, of course, has wonderful rooms with a sort of "introduction" to Japanese art. With your interest in pre-modern works, you may also enjoy the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which is a fun place that features many recreations of Edo period (and some Meiji period) structures and everyday-life. They currently also have an excellent special exhibition of a collection from Greece with many ukiyo-e prints and a fabulous Sharaku fan painting.

As far as galleries where one can purchase the art, there are small galleries everywhere in Kyoto and Tokyo, though of course actual pre-modern works can be pricey (though not as expensive as one might think).

There are also many contemporary artists and craftsmen working in traditional styles and their work can be purchased at galleries too. I've personally purchased a beautiful bamboo cricket cage at the Japan Traditional Craft Center in Ikebukuro (Tokyo) and really lovely boxwood combs at Jusan-ya in Kyoto.

Have fun!
by SuicaLove (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread