Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working Holiday Visa - A Few Questions 2009/8/4 20:02
Hi, I am thinking of applying for a Working Holiday Visa and have a few questions. (Sorry if any of the questions are repeated, I did try using the search feature and it has already answered a few of my questions.)

I'm 22, male, live in the UK and earn a descent wage. I have always wanted to visit Japan and feel that the best way to see see the country and experience the Japanese culture is using a working holiday visa. As I have not yet visited Japan I was thinking that I should go for a two week trip there before I decide to spend a year.

I am looking at applying for a visa for 2011 as I am currently one third of a way through a three year electrical Installation course that I do not want to leave. As I currently do not speak Japanese I am guessing that getting a job in that field would be difficult (I do have other technical qualification but think the same would apply).

Is it best to base myself in one place ie Tokyo and then travelling round to other area's of the country? If so should I rent for a year? Japan is renowned for its excellent public transport and I could get a internal flight as I would like to spend some time skiing.

How much money should I look to take? I am currently thinking around ’20,000 – 3,200,000 Yen, will I be able to live comfortably on that over there for a year? If it would then do I have to work on that visa? I have read that they allow 1000 working visa visitors a year is this financial or calendar year? Either way when is best to apply?

Is there problem returning to the UK on the working visa, for example if I decided to return for a couple of weeks over Christmas?

Lastly is there any reference books that you would recommend reading before visiting.

Thanks

Tom
by tomUK  

WHV 2009/8/5 12:47
Hi Tom,

My first visit to Japan was on a WHV many years ago. You can plan a short visit if you like though I wouldn't say it's necessary unless you suspect you may not like it.

The main obstacle with getting a job in that field during your WHV is actually the visa even if you could communicate fluent Japanese.
The reason for this is the visa isn't designed for you to stay in one place for the length of it. One of the documents you will submit when you apply is a travel plan detailing roughly what you intend to do and where to go.
You will find that no serious company will employ you as a sparky knowing that you will only be with them for a short time.
As for basing yourself in Tokyo. You may choose to spend perhaps a longer period of time there but it's not really going to be a base. When you move, you are moving on to experience a new area. So your base will change etc..
Yes the transport is good enough, you can use it to do your skiing quite easily.

I took slightly less money than you when I did mine. It's enough to live on and you don't technically have to work but it is a once in a lifetime visa so if you just intend to have one long holiday you should not waste it on this.

Regarding that 1000 WHV grants it's calender year but I got the impression by my local consulate in Australia that it was 1000 Australians a year. So i thought that figure would differ depending on the country. This is only my conclusion though so I could be wrong. 4 years ago only 75 Aussies applied in that year.

You can return to the UK but you must obtain a re-entry permit. More info here: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyoru...

by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

travel 2009/8/6 01:27
Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply.

I am starting to move away from going to Japan before hand, I don't really think its necessary and the money would be better spent if I decided to go for a year.

If I was to work over there I agree that with the language barrier and relatively short time that I'm there would make something in my field difficult to find. Working is not my main goal whilst i'm there but if something comes up then I will do it. As I won't be going for another couple of years I do plan to learn the language before I go, I am not sure what level I will reach but hopefully enough for me to hold a conversation.

I think I'm going to get a travel book on Japan and plan a rough route. If I am only staying in places for a few weeks then I guess hostels would be the best option for the shorter stays. What would you recommend if I was to stay in Tokyo,Osaka or one of the ski resorts for a longer period of time?

On the UK section of the Working Visa It does say that up to 1000 can be granted. I was planning to leave the UK aorund august time, would this mean tha my visa would cover me for a year from that time (ie – the august the following year)?

Cheers
by tomUK rate this post as useful

WHV 2009/8/6 11:49
Hi Tom,

I wouldn't worry about the language barrier while on a Working holiday, though of course it certainly would be a positive to remove that barrier :) A few years certainly will make a big difference though.

The visa isn't predominantly about working so you are quite well prepared if it's not your main goal. It's more about cultural immersion. The working is a small part of this and generally helps the visa holders live a comfortable life while travelling.

As to where to stay, I really cannot offer any advise on this subject. That is totally up to you and what you want to achieve during your visit. Looking at travel books will certainly help you there :)
Hostels are one option yes, and one that many WHV holders use. I actually had a lot of friends around so I just went from house to house. Short stay apartments are another option as well.

When you get your visa granted you then have 3 months to land in Japan. When you land you are then granted 6 months stay. Towards the end of your initial 6 months you can apply for a extension of another 6 months to give you the 12 month length you always hear about.

You should end up with a total of 12 months stay unless you give them a good reason not to allow your extension :)

WHV 2009/8/7 05:24
Thanks for the info Kevin, I think I will try and learn the language as I think it will enhance my time there.

Definitely going now and even though its just under two years away feel really excited, time to get saving!
by tomUK rate this post as useful

WHV 2009/8/7 10:19
Sounds like you are going to have a ball :)
Working holidays are great. I've experienced several around the world in my early 20's.
Will be a tremendous experience to you. Have a safe trip :)

reply to this thread