Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving license 2009/8/5 08:58
Hello everyone, is driving license in Japan easy to obtain and not considered expensive? As i was considering if i want to get my license in my own country or get it from Japan straigh as i have to go for pratical and theory test in Japan if i want to convert my license from my country to a Japan license. Anyone have an views or experience on this?
by yukime1988  

What 2009/8/5 16:55
What country are you from?

Getting a DL in Japan is expensive but depends on where you are from.
by DD (guest) rate this post as useful

reply 2009/8/5 22:49
I am from singapore. Is there a big difference?
by yukime1988 rate this post as useful

yes it does 2009/8/5 22:54
As you are from Singapore it is a more difficult process to convert your license than if you were from other countries. It sounds like you do not have a license at all at the moment. Is that right? Also, how long until you come to Japan and how long will you be staying?

Getting a license in Japan (without first having a Singaporean DL) would require classes that take about a month, costs around 300,000 yen, and would require Japanese ability.

I would recommend getting your license in Singapore first, then get an International Driver's Permit (IDP) which will allow you to drive in Japan for one year. If you will be staying longer then you could convert your Singapore License to a Japanese one. Know that the conversion process requires a written and practical test, and costs at least around 10,000 yen and will take as many as several months to complete.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

just to add.. 2009/8/6 02:40
1. Make sure that when you obtained your driving licence in Spore, you must at least stay for 3 months or more.If not you can't convert your licence, must go through the normal procedure.

2. IDP only valid for 1 yr only. You must leave Japan for more than 3 yrs, should you want to use/renew IDP.

http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/dailyliving/drivinginjap...

by huds_n (guest) rate this post as useful

driving license 2009/8/6 07:27
seems like its better if i get my license here then convert when i go japan. Can i convert to japanese license without converting into international license as i will probably stay there more than a year. Or i have to get the international license first before i can convert to japanese license? And if i may enquire, how long does the japanese license last if i convert it? Thanks a lot!

. 2009/8/6 08:08
YOU (in your situation I mean) only need an international permit if you plan to drive before you get a Japanese licence. You don't actually NEED one to get a Japanese licence though.

I believe Japanese licences, for Japanese people as well, last 5 years, then have to be renewed - same as most countries.

But please take note of this, it was mentioned above by someone, but may not have been highlighted enough: You need to have been IN SINGAPORE for at least 3 months after you get your Sin licence. You cannot be on holiday in another country! You must have at least 3 months duration before the Japanese will acknowledge your Sin licence. That is why they often ask for all your old passports - they will determine if you have been at home for 3 months or not. Seems silly, but it's the way it is. ;)
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

license 2009/8/6 08:17
2. IDP only valid for 1 yr only. You must leave Japan for more than 3 yrs, should you want to use/renew IDP.

Actually its 3 months not 3 years that you need to be out of the country to get a new valid IDP.

Can i convert to japanese license without converting into international license as i will probably stay there more than a year.

Yes, but get the IDP first. It will allow you to drive immediately upon landing in Japan. Otherwise, it is a 3-6 month process to convert your license during which you cannot drive.

Or i have to get the international license first before i can convert to japanese license?

No, you do not need to get an IDP to convert your license.

And if i may enquire, how long does the japanese license last if i convert it?

It expires on your third birthday after receiving the license (2-3 years depending on the exact timing of things). Then you must renew which requires a short refresher class at a police station.

Thanks 2009/8/6 23:24
Okay i got it now. I think i will go take my license in my country for that matter and stay in my country 3 months before i go japan. Thanks everyone!

typo errors 2009/8/7 15:52
thanks yllwsmrf for correcting the mistake..it's 3 mnth..
it take shorter time in small city, as less foreigner taking the test..i did my conversion in less than 2 weeks with 3 times driving test resit.
by huds_n (guest) rate this post as useful

test 2009/8/7 19:28
huds makes a good point. The time to conversion depends a lot on where you live. Most prefectures only have one or two test centers where you can make the conversion and depending how busy it is it you may be able to reschedule a test for the next day or not until the next month. I read somewhere that the national average was 7 attempts at taking the test, so good luck and hopefully you'll be somewhere that you can retest immediately.

reply 2009/8/7 21:46
So i have to live in some area where there is not much foreigner? If lets say i stay in tokyo can i take the test in other places where it is faster and lesser people?

where to test 2009/8/7 22:24
No, you are required to take the test in the prefecture that you are registered in.

If you know that you will be staying in Japan more than a year, then you should start the conversion process around 6 months into your stay. That will give you lots of room to complete it, and you will still be able to drive on an IDP in the meantime.

Where are you planning on living? Are you sure that you will even need a car? If you are in a big city it may be more of a hassle than a benefit to own and store. Public transportation in Japan's cities is some of the best in the world.

gaimen kirikae = shortcut 2009/8/9 19:02
As i was considering if i want to get my license in my own country or get it from Japan straigh as i have to go for pratical and theory test in Japan if i want to convert my license from my country to a Japan license

Although you'd have to do a practical test to convert to a Japanese license, is a fraction of the requirement for getting a Japanese license from scratch.

In fact, I think the practical test for "gaimen kirikae" is shorter and easier than even the practical test to get a Japanese learners permit.
by anon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread