Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

family name in katakana 2009/8/5 13:55
i used japanese translator.co.uk and got this for my family name -
(had to type it in as two seperate words (shy blur) - Scheibler)
note: site is made for given (western first) names

shy came out as shay (pronounced SHEI)
blur came out as blair (pronounced BUREA)

using a katana chart this came out as the characters for

(shi)(e)(i)(bu)(re)(a)

is this close to being right, or is there a better transliteration?
by William Scheibler (guest)  

Name in katakana 2009/8/5 14:44
William,

That looks pretty off.
シャイブラー (Shaiburaa), pronounced like "Shy blah" would be a much closer approximation and gets enough hits on Google to suggest this is the best way it is the best way to write it in Japanese.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

name in katakana 2009/8/5 18:46
シェイブラー

じゃないの?
by ぼぼ (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/5 18:51
To ぼぼ,
I believe the first part of the name is pronounced like the English word "shy," as the original poster says, so the suggestion by Dave in Saitama シャイブラー would be right.

(The same in Japanese)
名前の前半は、英語の、shy「シャイ」という単語と同じ発音だと、質問した人も言っているので、Dave in Saitamaの提案したシャイブラーでいいと思いますよ。
by AK rate this post as useful

using katakan family name in a hanko 2009/8/7 14:26
Thanks for getting me a better katakana transliteration for my family name Scheibler (pronounced like the two english language words: shy blur).
shaiburaa
(sha)(i)(bu)(ra)(a).

I downloaded a japanese font so i could see the katakan characters that everyone replied to me with. Is the last character an 'a' or is it some kind of special character to lengthen the sound of the vowel (character is almost shaped like a long dash (-) in the font i downloaded).
I used the downloaded font for display only and looked at a katakana chart online.

Also, if i was to get a hanko made of my last name in katakana, is it supposed to be read from the top to bottom and then right to left (starting at the top right corner heading to the bottom right corner, then going to the top left corner and heading to the bottom left corner)?
should the two 'characters' for (sha) be kept together? Should the 'ra' and 'a' characters at the end of my name be kept together?

thanks again for all the help so far,
Will
by Will Scheibler (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2009/8/7 15:50
Yes the last character - extends the previous vowel
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread