Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1/2 Japanese Asians in Japan? what race? 2009/8/5 16:21
I'm a 1/2 Chinese, 1/2 Japanese woman (father is Chinese, mother is Japanese) holding U.S. citizenship. I speak both Chinese (advanced level) & Japanese (intermediate level). Due to discrimination, when I was in Nanjing China, I didn't mention that I am half Japanese. No one suspected either as I have a Chinese last name.

I will be going to Japan to improve my Japanese to advanced level. Is it better to say I am Japanese or half Chinese-half Japanese if I get asked by a Japanese person?
by CJ (guest)  

... 2009/8/5 18:30
Not race, but nationality, you mean :)

I think you should just be honest about what you are :) I admit that due to the unfortunate and egregious history, some people in Nanjing must be to this day wary of anything and anyone Japanese, but you do not have to worry about that in Japan.

If you say what you are, all you get in response will probably be something like, ahhhhh, that's why you're here to study the language, to learn (half of) your heritage.

Enjoy your stay in Japan!
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/5 23:26
You are American. Your dad is Chinese and your mom is Japanese. That's basically the same thing how my kid introduce himself.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

I don't feel American 2009/8/6 00:35
I think you should just be honest about what you are

I am planning to as you said there is nothing to worry about :)

You are American. Your dad is Chinese and your mom is Japanese. That's basically the same thing how my kid introduce himself.

Although I hold U.S. citizenship, I feel like the fobbiest of fobs. The reason is because I was born in the U.S. but never went back for 17 years. I spent the majority of my childhood like a local in Singapore, with a few yrs in China. I lived in the U.S. (L.A.) between 17-21 and most of my close friends were Chinese and Japanese fobs. I speak English with a unique asian accent (a fusion of Singlish, Chinglish, some Japlish) I could never get rid of. I even have problems answering particular questions about American norms as I have always had fobs as roommates. Considering the above factors, "I am American" is about the last thing people expect to hear from me.
by CJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Father's race/ethnicity counts more! 2009/8/6 03:25
When filling a form where you could only fill in one race/ethnicity, you should fill in your father's race/ethnicty. The father's heridity is more important. I bet those guys in China weren't even aware that your mom is Japanese because people tend to only ask the father's side family history.

So in your case claiming yourself to be chinese is more appropriate than claiming yourself japanese.
by male chauv (guest) rate this post as useful

Ethnicity? 2009/8/6 06:22
male chauv wrote:

When filling a form where you could only fill in one race/ethnicity, you should fill in your father's race/ethnicty.

Have you ever come across a form in Japan on which you had to fill in your race or ethnicity?
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Housing discrimination 2009/8/6 19:28
In response to male chauv, IMO it is more beneficial to claim the race/ethnicity that will let you enjoy more privileges and entitle you to more discounts. I was able to enjoy work unit housing equivalent to 7000/month (US$70/month) apartment rent including utilities in Nanjing because I was identified as "Chinese". I might have disqualified and gotten kicked out if they found out I am half Japanese.

I know apartments are harder to rent for non-Japanese in Japan. Is it as hard for half-Japanese?

Don't know if this is what you mean but 2009/8/6 20:12
CJ,

When it comes to housing, it is not really about race or nationality, but it is about whether you can fully understand (and agree to) the rent agreement, and also whether you have family members in Japan who can be your guarantor for the rent agreement or not. Like when I (= Japanese national) initially started living alone, away from my parents, my father needed to show his/their resident register, and sign/stamp on the rent agreement for me as a guarantor. Twenty years later lol, if I wanted to rent, I would still need to come with a guarantor.

So, if you are coming to attend a school, probably your school would provide some help in locating an apartment, and maybe be a party to the agreement.

The rent agreement customs and practices are simply different between the Japanese norm and customs in other countries, at least in several other countries that I'm aware of, including US.

- Local rent agreement terms normally come in two years (which get renewed if you want to live in the same unit longer, upon which some fees need to be paid), with ''key money,'' deposit (two months, at times three months' rent), the apartment comes unfurnished, you need to arrange for utilities, etc.
- For those for short-term residents, so to say, the term may be set for different, shorter time periods, the deposits may be less, apartments often come furnished, utilities may be included in the rent, etc.

So it's more of a distinction for different things you get, rather than housing ''discrimination.'' There may be landlords who prefer to have local tenants because they are familiar with the ''local'' customs and manners so there would be no surprises (in their eyes), but people on the whole are getting more accepting of non-Japanese as residents.

guarantor 2009/8/7 23:13
Thanks so much for the thorough answer AK-san. Yes, my maternal grandparents are in Japan. I would rather not bother these old people, but I guess I have no other choice.

Like when I (= Japanese national) initially started living alone, away from my parents, my father needed to show his/their resident register, and sign/stamp on the rent agreement for me as a guarantor. Twenty years later lol, if I wanted to rent, I would still need to come with a guarantor

It makes sense for them to require you to have a guarantor when you started renting. If it's not personal, why after 20 years do they still require you to have a guarantor? Judging by your English command, my best guess is you have been overseas a lot and the landlord wants proof that you intend to stay Japan (hence requiring the guarantor)?

Guarantor 2009/8/8 08:42
CJ,

If it's not personal, why after 20 years do they still require you to have a guarantor?

Because everyone requires a guarantor when renting property in Japan. It has nothing to do with nationality, and is basically someone who guarantees to pay the rent if the person renting defaults. Guarantor agencies are available for people who do not have relatives or friends able to act as guarantors.

... 2009/8/8 09:15
Dave in Saitama,
Thanks for clearing that up.

CJ,
When I said "twenty years later," I meant to say I would need a guarantor even at my age now (over 40) lol. So yes, I meant to say that not only when young first-time renters, maybe with relatively small income, rent, but that *everyone* needs a local guarantor when renting :)

apt 2009/8/8 21:25
When I said "twenty years later," I meant to say I would need a guarantor even at my age now (over 40) lol.

I knew what you meant :)
You seem like an international, well-travelled woman AK. According to my mum (who is now half a century old), it wasn't common for young, unmarried women to live alone back in those days. She and most of her friends lived in parents' house before marriage.

Also, I prefer apartment with bathrooms that have a squatter toilet. Are there many of those?

Squat toilet 2009/8/8 21:40
CJ,

Also, I prefer apartment with bathrooms that have a squatter toilet. Are there many of those?

They are not at all common in homes these days, so you would need to look at older places if that is what you want. As a rough guide, I would say somewhere built in the 1970s or earlier.

reply to this thread