Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to find students to tutor? 2009/8/5 17:08
Hello,

I am a student in the United States, but I will be studying for a whole year in Japan at Waseda University. I will be receiving a student visa with working permissions on it (up to 28 hours/week). I figured the easiest job to land would be a job tutoring English.

How exactly does one come across students? Additionally, I am in my last year of college, but I do not yet have my Bachelor's degree. I imagine I couldn't charge as much per session, but what would be a good price range to offer? I can clear up any additional questions you guys need for clarity sake.

Thanks a bunch!
by rreynol  

Teaching 2009/8/5 18:56
Best thing to do is start teaching for a English school. Get to know people and eventually word of mouth will get people coming to you if you are good.
Actually going to Japan now and expecting to find students without any experience teaching in Japan is not very likely now in Japan because of recent problems..
Students will tend to stick to teachers they know and can trust knowing they are not wasting their money.
To start with you can charge around $25-$30/hour upwards but really best to get the experience from a school first.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Degree 2009/8/6 03:17
I've heard that teaching for such a school is difficult without a Bachelor's degree and that they usually won't consider you unless you have one. Is this true?
by rreynol rate this post as useful

Yes 2009/8/6 11:38
Yes to a certain point anyway.
You have to understand that currently thing's are a lot more competitive unfortunately so potential employers can be a lot more picky.
As for guests advise about word of mouth he/she is spot on.
You really need to work yourself up a name before you will be able to go on it alone. It wouldn't be impossible, you might be lucky to find interested people at your university for language exchange.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/6 19:25
Your best option is to get a real job with a real company then trying to rely on private students, I can tell you years of doing it, they are never reliable, and you can't make any type of living on private students alone. If you work for a company or school at least you have some idea of when and how much you will get paid each month. With private students its all up in the air, as to mention the competition out there with people charging dirt cheap prices.

As for getting a job, if you got a visa and permission, then you are usually ok with some places, bachelors etc is for full time and work visas (in many cases) though talk to the company.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread