Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

work with japanese in Paris 2009/8/8 21:50
Hello i'm french studying japanese and soon i'll work in japanese restaurant

For alor reason i stress alot, one of these reason is i know work with japanese or french is very different, for exemple talk with japanese boss or co worker is very strict in Japon conpare in France.

I would like some advice about things to do or not do or things to say or not say while we work with japanese

Thank you in advance of your advices
by olivier2975  

Dont' worry 2009/8/12 05:33
I don't think you should worry too much. I work in a Japanese company in my country (after studying Japanese and living in Japan for a while).Although the Japanese's working habits are sometimes different from the local ones, they are also adapting to our way doing things. Especially in the way of talking to each other, the hierarchy structure, etc they are much more relaxed than in Japan. I notice the difference when a new person arrives from Japan, and how he/she relaxes after a few months! On top of this, they don't expect the local staff to act as they do.I think the best is to look how the people in your workplace interact, and try to do the same! I'm sure it will be a great experience!
by Kali (guest) rate this post as useful

Just be Yourself 2009/8/12 06:56
I think wherever you work in the world, basic good manners (regardless of cultural customs) can go a long way. A sense of humour can also help and let your Japanese employer see you are willing to learn. You are already intelligent enough to be asking the questions about right/wrong moves but they vary from place to place. I am English and the way we do things here in the south of England is not always understood in the north of England - and vice versa. Enjoy you new job and get the most out of it!
by synchronise1 rate this post as useful

no need to change 2009/8/12 08:32
Because you are in France, there is no need to adapt your behaviour in any way. The Japanese people at the restaurant are probably in France partly because they like the people/lifestyle there, and they may even be wanting to escape from a Japanese-style workplace.

I live in Japan, and I do not expect the Japanese people I work with to behave differently towards me as a foreigner, I want to be treated the same as the Japanese staff.

In the same way, you should not behave differently towards the Japanese people at the workplace than you would towards the French people there.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/8/12 23:05
Thank you Kali,Sira and synchronise1 It's always bit stressing to start new job specialy this time i have alot reasons to stressing now( i have never work in restaurant, communication with co worker...). But after what you wrote i fell bit better, that's true they probably don't espect i act like they do, and they are in France so they probably don't act as they will be in Japan.
I use to go there for eat and boss look very nice

Anyway best way will be to see how other do and do the same, gambarimasu

thank you again for all your advices
by olivier2975 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread