Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ryokan hakone 2009/8/12 13:03
Hi,

I am planning to stay for 1 night in Hakone and do the Hakone round trip and trying out the onsen.
I will be travelling with a group of 7 from tokyo to hakone.
I am looking for a ryokan in hakone and find
Hakone Suimeiso Ryokan, located at Hakone Yumoto 702, Hakone Machi,
Ashigarashimo Gun, Kanagawa Pref, it is only 3 mins walk from hakone yumoto station. (from japanhotel.net)
I have not completely figure out the transportation and how to get there yet and would appreciate any help.
my questions are:
1. Is this ryokan will be a good option to stay if i want to do the hakone round trip course? or should i stay somewhere else along the way?
2. which onsen should we go to, for a memorable experience? we would like something that is traditional and in japanese style
3. which station will we have to depart from in tokyo to get to hakone?
4. does the train stop at the hakone yumoto station or do we have to change to another line or by bus?
5. where can we buy the hakone free pass? do we have to buy the 2 days pass or just 1 day?
6. what time will be the best time to start the trip from tokyo to get the most of it?
7. we r heading to kyoto the next day and what will be the best way to get there?
we will activate our JR pass on the trip to hakone.
?

Thank you so much for your help and for planning this trip.

by Eruna (guest)  

... 2009/8/12 14:09
There are different ways to go about Hakone.
(1) start early from Tokyo, and do the round course back to Hakone Yumoto on the first day, stay in Hakone Yumoto, then on the second day get back to Odawara, then take Shinkansen to Kyoto from there,
OR,
(2) you can start a bit late from Tokyo, then stay at a hotel/ryokan *halfway* on the Hakone round course, meaning some places like Gora, or on
the lake (Togendai), or in Moto Hakone, then the next day take the bus down to Mishima station, and continue to Kyoto from there.
OR
(3) you can simply go to the ryokan in Hakone Yumoto in the late afternoon, just for enjoying the hot spring and dinner there, then you can start off in the morning of the second day to do the round course, taking the bus down to Mishima to continue to Kyoto.

Hotel area suggestion if you want to stay somewhere *halfway* on the round
course:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6...

Seeing that you'd have arrived in Tokyo only on the day before, you *might* be tired or want to see Tokyo more, so one option would be to travel around Tokyo in the morning, then travel to Hakone in the late afternoon; this one is your thread, right? :)
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6...

Some suggested travel from Hakone to Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+5...

In any case,
1. the ryokan looks nice;
2. You enjoy the onsen AT the ryokan :)
3. 4. If you have activated your JR Pass when you start your trip to Hakone, then take JR Shinkansen to Odawara, and buy Hakone Free Pass there. From Odawara, you take the Hakone Tozan Line to get to Hakone Yumoto station.
5. At Odawara. They only come in 2 or 3 days.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/8/12 14:50
AK,
I cannot say thank you enough, your information is so helpfull and the links u have provided really saves me lots of time finding the informations I need. I will continue my reading and planning and will shoot more questions again when I am unsure and needing help ... Thanks heaps once again !!!!
by Eruna (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread