Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confused Organize Route in Tokyo 2009/8/13 13:02
I've problem deciding what Pass to use during my 3 and a half day in Tokyo. I'm staying near Kuramae Station, and don't have JR Pass. I don't consider N'EX Pass as my hotel is easier accessed by Kesei Line. Here's my plan.

Day 1 (Use 2 Day Tokyo Metro Pass)
Asakusa Temple-Ueno Area- Ikebukuro Area

Day 2 (Use 2 Day Tokyo Metro Pass)
Tsukiji Market-Imperial Palace-Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku

Day 3 (Use 1 Day Tokyo Metro Pass)
Roppongi-Odaiba

Day 4 (Half Day- Buy separate ticket)
Don't know yet where to go, but plane to catch at 6 PM

When I look at the Metro map, from Kuramae Station, which is my start point of each day isn't covered by Tokyo Metro Line but Toei Line. Does this means I have to pay additional fare from Kuramae Station to get to any Tokyo Metro Line? Is there a wiser way than this?

If I use Tokunai Pass, it can get me to Ueno and Ikebukuro but not Asakusa.

Is Kuramae Station and Asakusa Station within a walking distance? I read in a review that from Kuramae Station to nearest JR Station is quite far but still can walk. If the map is not deceiving, and walking from Kuramae to JR station is possible, then walking from Kuramae to Asakusa is also possible?What do you think? Or should I rearrange all the route?

Thank you very much in advance.

by Ampica (guest)  

. 2009/8/13 14:02
Day 2 (Use 2 Day Tokyo Metro Pass)
Tsukiji Market-Imperial Palace-Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku

Remember, the Tokyo Metro Station at Harajuku is named "Meiji-Jingūmae Station" not Harajuku Station. However it is right under Harajuku Station.

Day 3 (Use 1 Day Tokyo Metro Pass)
Roppongi-Odaiba

Tokyo Metro doesn't go to Odaiba. In fact if you don't mind the longer wait and ride, getting the TOEI Subway (not Tokyo one day pass) for 700 yen is good, because you can use the Toei Lines instead. The good thing about this pass if you want to save money is you can take the TOEI BUS from Hamatsucho Station (World Trade Center Bus terminal) near Daimon Station to Odaiba. The draw back is the bus operates much slower then trains, the up side is you save quite a bit as trains to odaiba cost a bit.

Any case if you want to take the train, then this day just buy tickets as you go.

When I look at the Metro map, from Kuramae Station, which is my start point of each day isn't covered by Tokyo Metro Line but Toei Line. Does this means I have to pay additional fare from Kuramae Station to get to any Tokyo Metro Line? Is there a wiser way than this?

If I use Tokunai Pass, it can get me to Ueno and Ikebukuro but not Asakusa.

Is Kuramae Station and Asakusa Station within a walking distance? I read in a review that from Kuramae Station to nearest JR Station is quite far but still can walk. If the map is not deceiving, and walking from Kuramae to JR station is possible, then walking from Kuramae to Asakusa is also possible?What do you think? Or should I rearrange all the route?

Thank you very much in advance.

It is very much possible to walk to Asakusa Station, under 10 minutes. Its a strait walk right to Asakusa.

You really don't need a PASS for all days, you are OK just to pay as you go sometimes.

You can pull it up on googlemaps and take a look. I walked it many times, if you think 10minutes is long then reconsider.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

PASMO/SUICA! 2009/8/13 18:34
Hi. Get a PASMO or Suica card and dont bother with the day cards. You have to try VERY hard to get value for money out of them, and even if you do you will only save a few hundred yen max. It really is not worth planning every single subway journey in Tokyo - you will NOT spend a huge amount of money on local transport - there are much more important ways to save money if that is a concern - accommodation etc.
by Hikari365 rate this post as useful

Prepaid 2009/8/13 21:12
I agree with Hikari365 just get one of the two major prepaids and save yourself a lot of bother trying to save a few cents. The convenience of just being able to get on anything without thinking about it far outweighs the logistics of trying to squeeze your money back out of a pass.
by RodW rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/13 21:48
Days 1 & 2 are all well perfectly within Tokyo Metro's pass. Especially if you have the 2 day version it is a very good deal to stick with the 2 day Tokyo Metro Pass.

Days 3 and 4 you might want to go with a prepaid card. For a trip to Odaiba, you're saving yourself more then just a few yen.

Agreed 2009/8/14 06:21
I agree also about getting a Suica card. I've been planning our Japan holiday with a few days in Tokyo for the last few weeks, and the problem with the day passes is that you can only see so many things in a day, meaning you can only make limited use of the passes. Also as mentioned local travel isn't expensive. The ease of use of just scanning the Suica card, especially as a tourist in an unknown place, far outweighs the complexity of trying to work out and purchase passes and tickets and the like. Go the Suica!
by meandher rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/8/14 19:39
Thanks everyone. Come to think of it, I agree that buying prepaid card might be the most suitable way, as it helps safe time and very convenience. I think I'm trying too hard to control my traveling cost. As you say local traveling cost is not that much expensive, after a rough calculation I think the cost is not significantly different. Thanks you all again for good advice.
by Ampica (guest) rate this post as useful

Geographical Distance 2009/8/21 23:18
Let's all marry the PASSMO. Ah, glorious days of swiping.
TIP: Try and get a map that marks subway/JR stations. Some stations are very close together or appear to require transfers when really you can walk and such, so you can trim your yens if you are a little more aware of this. For example, there are SO many stations around Harajuku: you might end up thinking you need to leap around the lines, but you really don't.
by Ruth (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/22 10:52
While some of the responses here might be true when speaking about REGULAR one day passes, remember the original poster is talking about a Special two day Tokyo Metro pass which is at a greatly discounted pass then regular day passes.

Thus that pass is a great value in my opinion.

Of course have a prepaid card like Suica or Pasmo, but the OP's plan of a 2 day Tokyo Metro pass works out well as well.

reply to this thread