Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ipod touch support yahoo mail japan? 2009/8/14 13:15
Hi, im going to go to japan in december and work/live there for a year. i was thinking of buying an iPod touch for the emailing capabilities. I was wondering if the iPod touch (wether it be 2ndG or 3rdG when it comes out and bought in australia) supports yahoo mail japan?

and if it does, does anybody know the incoming/outgoing mail server adresess?
by jonlovitz  

yes 2009/8/14 16:27
Yes, it should work just fine. All you really need is your address and password to set it up. Instructions can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1385
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

yahoo.co.jp 2009/8/14 16:46
Wait a minute, I just tried it with my Japanese iphone and it couldn't connect correctly to the yahoo.co.jp mail server. Anyone know the server address?

I can confirm that my gmail and yahoo.com accounts were very easy to set up.

thought so.... 2009/8/14 21:22
yeah i thought so.....i tried doing it simply with mozilla thunderbird by guessing the server adress in which i used - mail.yahoo.co.jp

it logged on, but couldnt recieve emails and said some thing about POP3. im not sure wat that is but i thinks that yahoo japan mail doesnt work on ipod touches.... the reason i created a yahoo japan adress was to use it to email japanese phones, i hear that gmail and hotmail has a lot of troubles emailing to docomo adress and etc.

fairly frustrating
by jonlovitz rate this post as useful

mailing cellphones 2009/8/15 08:53
the reason i created a yahoo japan adress was to use it to email japanese phones, i hear that gmail and hotmail has a lot of troubles emailing to docomo adress and etc.

If this is why you need it, be aware that docomo cell phone addresses are automatically set to reject email sent from computer addresses to help prevent spam. Whether you send it from yahoo.co.jp, gmail, or hotmail shouldn't make a difference.

If you're gonna be here for a year, just get a softbank prepaid cell phone and you can send mail from there.

WiFi 2009/8/16 03:28
Slightly on a tangent, but not sure how useful you'll find a ipod touch in Japan for email (in public places). I was kind of surprised how little WiFi there was then I was travelling around - some yes, but not a lot.
by Dave (guest) rate this post as useful

I agree with Dave 2009/8/16 05:52
I agree with Dave, unless you're going to be at home the entire time with your own WiFi, iPod Touch is going to be completely useless.

I don't think you're going to need it if you're going to be there for a year (which I also assume will mean that you'll also purchase a mobile phone?)
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/8/16 11:46
cheers for all the help everyone.

wats the deal with the mobile phones? are they expensive/whats the deal?

anyone got a website that i can visit?

cheers

. 2009/8/16 12:56
yeah i thought so.....i tried doing it simply with mozilla thunderbird by guessing the server adress in which i used - mail.yahoo.co.jp

it logged on, but couldnt recieve emails and said some thing about POP3. im not sure wat that is but i thinks that yahoo japan mail doesnt work on ipod touches

Most likely you had the address of the server wrong. Try asking Yahoo for help on how to set up Thunderbird for accessing Yahoo mail. Whether or not it is an iPod, iPhone, or laptop, etc. doesn't matter Thunderbird is Thunderbird. POP is an e-mail protocol.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

sb 2009/8/16 13:11
Jon you can look here: http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/

Regarding yahoo.co.jp. It's very problematic at the best of times. You probably have the settings right and will find that sometimes it works, but quite often its broken.
It's a problem with yahoo from your mobile not your actual ipod/iphone.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

cool 2009/8/17 10:53
awesome, ill look into the softbank mobiles. its looks very cheap and very afordable. but it doesnt say how much the phones are to buy, just the rates of calls and etc.

does anyone know how the phones are outright? im particuallary looking at the 730sc.

cheers

Price 2009/8/17 12:15
Hi Jon,

Prices are buried in their Japanese online shop.
Price is 4,830 Yen including tax.
Regards
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/8/17 13:53
awesome, thanks for the information.
its cheap!

i was reading about this phone, and for the first time read about something called S! Mail. Is this "S! Mail" what all japanese people use to email each others phones?

for example, last time i was in japan i made a friend and her email adress was xxxxxxxx@docomo.ne.jp
if i have a soft bank phone that supports S! Mail, is it possible to send emails to and from my email adress to my friends docomo adress?

S! Mail 2009/8/17 13:59
S! mail is essentially MMS so is compatible with any handset that supports it. Each carrier has their own name for their products but s! mail will work with your docomo friend.

Sky mail (the other system your phone will have) is a system used by Softbank.

ok..... 2009/8/17 15:07
so my phone (730sc) will have: SMS (softbank = softbank), S! Mail (MMS) [soft bank = non softband users/PC], and Sky Mail?

how much to send a sky mail, and how to get an adress and etc? is it a seperate 'program' so to speak, that will be on my phone?

mobile 2009/8/17 15:52
I use SMS to SMS friends in Australia but otherwise it works inside softbanks network in Japan. It's an expensive option though.

As for pricing you can check on http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/
They seem to have a unlimited mail deal going.

Software 2009/8/17 15:53
Sorry I forgot to talk about the software.
I've only had two softbank phones in my life. One was a prepaid and the other contract. All the methods for sending messages/mail has been in the same messaging software.

Regards

reply to this thread