Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

whats the best job to live in japan? 2009/8/14 16:07
im an american Sophmore in High school. i really want to live in japan or at least spend a few years there.so whats the best career to choose that would let me stay in another country?
im thinking Engineering but i would like to eny good careers so i can decide soon and get classes for it.
by tomas villa  

too many options here... 2009/8/20 01:03
Teaching English is a never-fail option, but as far as careers go, I'd check into IT jobs or finance. Usually people in one of those two seem to have more luck here. I personally am in music business but it is highly unsatisfying and I'm not really being allowed to do much in the company. My company is pretty small, though, so it might be that too. OOH, check out the JET program! If by the time you graduate from college you're still into Japan and gotten the chance to learn the language to a fairly advanced level, you could apply to be a CIR. I don't remember what that stands for, but you'd be working in companies that are connected to the government and helping with things like translating, doing cultural things, etc. I have a friend in that and it seems pretty satisfying. Otherwise you can get a job teaching English with JET as an ALT (assistant teacher, basically, I think). I've never taught English but I have many friends who do, and my Korean boyfriend is a computer programmer. I have one other friend who is basically freelancing her music-related career but she started out as an English teacher and branched off and is really flying. Her Japanese is amazing though.

At any rate, you would really need to get at least a 4-year degree from a college or university, and it is HIGHLY recommendable to learn as much Japanese as possible. Aim for fluency. And if you can, try studying abroad for a year. That will really help.

A lot of my younger friends (I'm 24...) took a year off after graduating from high school and studied abroad through a Japanese language school. Many people get permission to work while going to school, and sometimes even transfer to a school in Japan. A few of my younger friends were able to find study abroad programs that they could do while in high school. I don't know what they all did but I've heard of this one program called YFE. It is only available to high schoolers, so that might be something you could look into.
by Jessica (guest) rate this post as useful

expat 2009/8/20 06:58
I think the best jobs are expat positions in multinational corporations. Not only are they well paying positions with the company taking care of your needs, Japanese people look up to these people. Having such a position means you are very good at what you do.
So I think you should pursue a career in what you are naturally good at, engineering is a good field. Then work for a multinational and shoot for a position in Japan. In the meantime, since you'll be well paid, you can have very good vacations in Japan.
by Natsuki (guest) rate this post as useful

depends on what "best" is 2009/8/20 10:20
It depends on what "best" means to you.

As mentioned, being a company employee of a large corporation is probably the most "stable" job, as your company will pay for all housing and education. But in return, you must move to different places whenever the company asks you to and drag your family along with you.

It will be ideal if you can obtain great skills and run your own business. But the risk will be higher and you need to do everything by yourself from administration to sales talk.

If you just want to "at least spend a few years" in Japan, why not try to apply for student exchange. The experience will also help your future career, especially if you wish to do something related to Japan. You have more physical freedom when you are young.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread