Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Coffee jar coins to the bank? 2009/8/14 23:45
I have a load of coins that I've collected in a coffee jar - 1,5,10,50,100 yen all mixed together.

I want to take the jar to the bank and transfer the contents to a local animal rescue charity.

Can I just take the jar as it is (all coins mixed) or do I need to sort the coins in some way?
by Bob (guest)  

RE: Coffee jar coins to the bank? 2009/8/16 03:05
I suppose you don't need to sort your coins by denominations in advance: it's bank clerks' job to exchange coins, and they will check your coins by a coin distinguisher machine and/or by hand.

I have checked explanations on yen-for-yen exchanging in the websites of three Japanese banks: Sumitomo Mitsui, Mizuho, Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ. It seems the fee depends on how many coins and/or banknotes they handle at one time of exchanging. As to these three banks, if you have 500 or less coins in the coffee jar and hope them exchanged at once, the fee will be 525 yen or less, unless you designate the kind(s) of coins or banknotes (e.g. "Use 500-yen coins as possible!").

At a branch office of a major Japanese bank, asking an attendant clerk where yen-for-yen exchanging is available, probably you will be handed a number ticket; when your number blinks [winks] on an indicator at a counter, it's your turn.

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/16 03:41
Probably depends on your bank.

Major ones will have coin sorting machines, major bank ATMs even have coin deposits.

However other banks do not. My bank does not. I took a bunch of 1 yen coins in, and it was done all by hand. So I figure if I had it mixed it would be nice to make it a little organized, but again depends on your bank.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

As far as I know... 2009/8/16 12:57
It depends on the bank (and the branch, how big or small it is), but many do have coin counting machines. I have taken a big coffee jar full of coins to a bank branch to deposit. If you don't go at busy hours, and if you are making a deposit (as against asking them to change into different coins/bills), they should be able to accommodate that for you.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread