Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Really bizarre breathing problem... 2009/8/15 06:58
I have read older posts about breathing problems but I feel my case is very different.
Also, this might become a long story, but bear with me please.

According to my doctor in my home country I have had a light form of bronchitis since I was a child. This has never really bothered me that much though. With pollen allergies I had some heavy breathing problems but in general I don't feel a thing.

I have lived in a wooden floor apartment with my gf for a year without any problems with breathing. I have recently moved to another apartment which has tatami in the bedroom. I don't live together with my gf anymore, but whenever she visits and stays for a few days I get really, REALLY heavy breathing problems. So bad that I actually feel like I’m dying sometimes.

I sleep on a normal mattress that lies directly on the tatami, so no bed or futon or anything in between. I keep doors and windows open a lot, I clean my apartment regularly. I just don't know why I get these really bad breathing problems as soon as my gf spends the night. Btw, after one night there are no problems whatsoever, from the second night on it starts and gets worse and worse. Oh and this problem has only started like a month or 2 ago. Before that she also spends some nights here without any problem.
If it's dami or something similar or humidity issues with this hot summer season, how come it only occurs when my gf sleeps in the same bed with me?
Next to the regular things every couple does we don’t do anything weird in the bed
As you might understand, this problem is causing some issues for our relationship as well. She feels guilty and I feel like I can’t be with the love of my life anymore because it is killing me. We both really just want to fix this problem so any comments about us having to break up aren’t what I’m looking for.

Thank you for any help you can give me!
by 嘘!! (guest)  

嘘!? 2009/8/15 10:11
So we are supposed to assume this is a prank post??
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

This is no joke 2009/8/15 11:02
I never really thought about how absurd it must sound for outsiders... I'm really suffering from breathing problems, a lot. I'm not trying to be funny at all. I just don't know how to fix this problem because it doesn't make any sense. The first time it happened I thought it might be the aircon, as I hardly use it when I'm alone. But my gf is weaker against the heat so she used it a lot and I kinda hoped that was the cause of my problems. The solution would be simple then.

The only other thing I can think of is that when we lay in bed together there is more weight and thus pressure on the mattress and tatami and that somehow causes dami or dust to move around more?

Also, is Vaporub available in Japan? I've been using all kinds of so-called breath relievers or something but nothing works.

Anyone reading this, please take it serious. Sitting behind my pc and typing is already a strain on my breathing right now, please don't make me explain myself because it's a weird situation.
I really just want some help...
by 嘘!! (guest) rate this post as useful

about my name 2009/8/15 11:05
I know my name says "uso"(lie) but I have been using that nickname on these forums for a while now. No real reason except that I like the sound of it when pronounced.
If I change it to my real name Michael will people help me then?

... 2009/8/15 11:42
If your nickname says 嘘!!, anyone's first instinct upon reading it would be not to take it seriously; you don't have to show your real name either, but it was not really a wise choice for a nickname, I must say :)

I cannot think of anything except some perfume/hair spray/cosmetics your girlfriend wears, any pet hair she might be bringing into the room, but in those cases your reaction would be more immediate (and violent in case of pet - particularly cat - hair allergy). But you might want to observe what happens if the two of you stay in a different location together - her place, or a hotel if you happen to travel together, so that you might be able to tell if it has anything to do with the room/mattress or some chemisty between you.

Also, emotional stress or excessive excitement can cause physical issues too. If sitting there and writing about it gives you some breathing problem, I'd suspect that too... you might want to consult a doctor for a checkup on your bronchitis and allergiies. Take care.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/15 11:52
The best would be to consult an allergy doctor and have you checked. You might be surprised to find out what you are allergic to.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Doctor 2009/8/15 12:33
I agree with others. This is something for a doctor not a forum. You actually need real medical help not advise from us.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

??? 2009/8/15 15:16
Some allergies or discomfort sometimes come and go without warning so it is hard to pinpoint the cause. I noticed, for example, that when I go to a certain mall in Vancouver, where I live, my eyes start itching. Could be the AC, the mix of perfumes from people and perfume shops?? a friend of mine feel the same. Yet other local malls, with the same shops, don't give me that unpleasant feeling.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

2009/8/17 00:31
I was taken to the hospital by ambulance the day I wrote the first posts in this topic. I was actually not stressed or anything when I was writing them, but a few hours laters when the afternoon heat started kicking in I really couldn't breathe anymore.
The doctors could also not find the cause of my weird allergic reactions but didn't act that surprised either. They said if I wanted to find out what my allergies are I need to undergo a full research.
They've given me so medicine and a inhaler and I feel much better even though my gf is still staying there. If I'll get any breathing problems I'll just use the inhaler I guess.
Thanks for all the reactions, and for people with any breathing problems at all (how small or rare they may be) make sure you have an inhaler around. I never did, and I seriously almost lost my consciousness that day.
Thanks again

Breathing Problem 2009/8/17 02:51
Hey "uso",

So, your problem happens only when your girlfriend visit? It was not a problem before you moved into your new place? Ask your girlfriend if she changed her perfume/cologne, bath powder, bathing soap, bath powder, etc.

Since it's only when you're with here, it has to do something she changed after you move.

You can also have delayed reaction where it does not affect you the first night.

Good luck!
by Harold (guest) rate this post as useful

I get that too !!! 2009/11/27 06:16
TRY REMOVING ANY TATAMI MATS
I live in the UK, and 2 months ago bought a Futon Bed from The Futon Company - came with Tatami mats and a mattress. Anyway, I've been getting terrible allergy type symptoms with breathing / bad throat - almost feels like I'm being strangled, and bad ear problems. I totally sympathise as I've felt like I'm dying almost, but doctor so far is not interested. I have now resorted to removing the mats to see if this helps as I do get hayfever and I'm wondering if they are causing my symptoms - I have read that other people have been severely allergic to Tatami ?? . I'll let you know how I get on :-)
by Cal (guest) rate this post as useful

Mold? 2009/11/27 22:39
My guess: mold / mildew. Some people are really sensitive to the spores of the mold growth. It's literally toxic to them. Maybe your girlfriend's place has mold: then she will have it in her clothes. Do you get these breathing issues at your girlfriend's place?

If not mold, then I'd guess you're lalergic to some perfume / skin cream / shampoo etc. that your gf uses.

However, please continue to consult the doctors! They may be able to make more educated guesses. Try to get the mold allergy test done, that may reveal something.
by Pauline (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread