Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teacher w/ BS Degree & 4 yrs Experience 2009/8/15 17:26
I recently moved back to Japan and would like to get back into teaching esl. I'm originally from the U.S., but taught here in Japan about 10 years ago for about 4 years. I also have a bachelor's degree in Business Management. I have 3 years of experience teaching elementary school age children in the U.S.

I know that the Japanese economy has changed a lot lately, but what is the average pay (for 2009) if I acquire my own private students? I was paid about 3,000Y before (for one student). How easy would it be to get students in the Yokohama area and where can I find students looking for a teacher?

I appreciate any input on this! Thank you!
by Goagirl (guest)  

.. 2009/8/15 22:22
Pay hasn't risen for ages but neither has the cost of living really. So your 3000Y is still valid.

But really, for someone who has taught in Japan for 10 year's previously it's a bit rich to be asking how to get students? You of all people should be able to answer than better than anyone here.
Finding private students right now would be extremely difficult.
Work your way up, get to know people etc..
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/8/15 23:42
In terms of qualification you seem to have plenty going for yourself, but to be able to teach and get paid for it properly, wouldn't you have to be hired by a school (employer) to sponsor you for your visa?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/16 02:14
You mean 300,000 yen a month. 3,000 is $30 USD. And yes it is the same, but harder to get work.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/16 03:47
A minor note, the OP said, 4 years of experience 10 years ago, instead of 10 years of experience. Though 4 years could of been in nowhere's ville for JET and other ALT programs, so who knows.

Anyways, as mentioned getting and keeping privates is HARD, not to mention they are extremely unreliable.
by ExpressTrain. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread