Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How will I manage to live in Japan? 2009/8/17 15:35
Hi, I am of Korean ethnicity and I am currently living in California. In two years I will graduate from high school; and my dream is to become a guitarist in Japan due to their popularity next to Korea; and I dislike the popular music in America. However; I need to know how I am able to survive in Japan because I am planning to move either within the few months after I graduate high school or after I graduate college. The sooner the better; I cannot wait to get out of America for personal reasons.

I just need a small apartment with a small kitchen, enough for a fridge, and a stove. A bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet, and one room where I can place my guitars, and two computers (will be cramped into one area, for audio recording purposes and will not take up more space than just 1).

How much will a small apartment as stated above cost me? I wish to live in a suburban or urban area, I don't mind super loud noise, etc from any monorails, etc; as long as it is not consistent (by consistent I mean every minute).

I am also deeply afraid that neighbors will dislike my guitar playing; though I will keep it respectably low enough just so I can hear what I need to.

Also, paying for the food, laundry (if there is a different system there please notify me) and other toiletries and necessities. Of course, I will be buying things for my leisure; but not irresponsibly so for clothes every once in a while; how much? Is it more expensive there?

So here are my questions summed up;

-How much for a small apartment stated above?

-How much for the stated apartment; and necessities/toiletries?

-Are there any art colleges (preferably not universities; I might have trouble getting into them)

-How much do normal jobs pay? I plan on working at a music store; somehow

PS : I do appreciate every bit of criticism and advice; however I do take great offense when people say that my planning is immature and advising me to stay out of Japan, etc. Though I can say it is a bit early for me to plan to leave; but I feel this is the only thing I wish to live for; music has changed a lot about me.

Thanks for any help/advice/criticism in advanced!
by I am a guest (guest)  

Moving 2009/8/17 16:34
There's a lot to consider.
It's not a matter of simply moving because you want to, you need to be able to move there legally.

I dislike the popular music in America.

Be prepared to be bitterly disappointed as popular music in Japan is even more mainstream and regurgitated. It's perhaps the best example of corporate robotic practices at its best.

How you will survive is going to depend on how you get there to start with. If you plan to move after high school you are very limited with how you can get there to start with.
Can you advise us what your visa status will be so we can advised appropriately?

You cannot simply move into any apartment and expect to record music. There are neighbors to consider. You would instead be looking for an apartment that is more catered to you. I believe there was a thread just recently on this for someone and their drum kit.

I think you should visit there first for a short holiday. You will be able to answer many of your questions with experience which is something you need.

I plan on working at a music store

Just like that? Like I said, Japan is not simply a matter of *moving*.
I know you don't want to here this but your plan IS premature. I won't advise you to stay out of Japan. Just go there and check it out first hand.

by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

well... 2009/8/17 16:48
Thanks for your help. I will travel there very soon and I know it will be great because I have been there before a few years ago. Though I did not stay long enough to get every question answered; not to mention I had no focus on my future whatsoever at that time of my life. It was just go to school, get good grades and back.

It's not a matter of like or dislike music; it's that I know for a fact the music I make would have a higher probability of success in Japan rather than America and Korea.

As for the music store; was that just to point out that my plan was premature? Isn't that the point of posting here? To get help and stabilize the plan to help me succeed with something I wish to do. I mean, you didn't even give me advice on the music store; I didn't write too much about it because I don't have the right to say anything about what I will do or plan to do due to the lack of knowledge of jobs in Japan; therefore it did sound simple and premature but taking into consideration that someone would help me in regards to that due to it's lack of detail instead of using it as a pick point to tell me my plan is premature. I don't think that was necessary and I take offense. However; moreover I do truly appreciate your help and if I ever met you; I'd thank you.

Thank you and to anyone posting a reply in advanced.
by I am a guest (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/17 16:54
Unfortunately, finding what you might think is a "normal job" is a problem to begin with. It's not that you can simply pack up and move to Japan as a non-Japanese and work.

If you do not have a bachelor's degree from a college/university, or instead 5, 10 years of relevant work experience, you will not be eligible for any visa status that permits you to work in Japan (Immigration requirement) under full-time employment.

For other visas such as "entertainment," you need to be able to show that you have certain credential from your home country about the skills you have - I assume (at your young age) you do not yet have any career track record as a guitarist?

Another way to come to Japan if you have plenty of savings (to pay for tuition upfront, and to live for some months without any income potentially): If you want to attend a Japanese language school to start learning the language (as full-time student) you can enrol into such school and obtain "pre-college" visa status, under which you will be able to work part-time jobs after a few months into your study.

When it comes to the question of how much to live on your own - apartment rent varies greatly depending on location and size, but an apartment where you can freely practice guitar might be a bit difficult. There are some apartments with sound-proofing provided for music school students. But anyway, by now a young graduate right out of university (with a bachelor's degree) starts off with salary of 220,000 yen/month or so, so people can live on that on their own if they don't splurge.

Same as Kevin, I would not say anything like stay out, but please do take practical matters into consideration.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you. 2009/8/17 17:05
Thank you AK. As for my the language; I do not worry; I will be able to read, write and speak before and by the time I get to Japan; and if I stay in America until I graduate from college; even more so.

At this point; I am thinking of moving after college; but I am still wondering if it is possible to become a guitarist without the credentials. I was thinking of my dream as a 50:50 chance. Though that might not sound like a 'dream' to most it's about as good as it gets for me, unfortunately. I was planning IF I moved earlier (after graduating highschool) that I will study art at a decent college in Japan while practicing guitar. And by no means does my guitar playing have to be loud. (I shouldn't have stated that in my question; due to the fact that the volume is easily adjustable with a knob on my amps, but that's my fault) and while studying, I would be working, and after graduating college there I could look for a band to practice with and attempt to get promotions from there.

As for after college; I'll probably just go straight for a bachelors music degree in America and move to Japan after, but I need to find out details about this.

Thanks to both of you and anyone else in advanced for tips, and advice.

. 2009/8/17 17:05
If you choose to take offense that's your problem.
You just need to be realistic. I did not mean to be offensive to anyone. The reason I shot off like I did is because everywhere you go, it's the million dollar question. Everyone wants to move to Japan. Everyone has their own story and reason behind it. Everyone believes it's the perfect place for them and only see good things.

Things to consider are:
Language skills, are you fluent in Japanese?

Visa. For instance you would likely be looking for a working visa. To get this you are going to need a BA (which means more years of study) or many years of working in that area. To be honest I'm not sure if retail experience would even pass with immigration. I would suspect not. So University would be the best option for you.
Ultimately I don't think your chances of working in a music store are very good at all. Don't mean to be all negative but realistically.... It's a very low paying retail job that many local Japanese fit the bill to take.

Another option would be study. It won't enable you to live there long term but you could study for say a year. This would require you to save up enough money to support yourself. There are art colleges in Japan like you has asked. At a glance all these require fluent Japanese. Maybe someone else might have a better option.

As for costs, please do try the search function here. It's actually very good.

Again I do not mean to be offensive. I hope this post provides you with more information.

AK 2009/8/17 17:13
Sorry, AK replied with the same information long before I got back in :)

@Kevin 2009/8/17 17:15
Thanks again Kevin for your response. First, to start off I would like to know; do I sound like or talking like I am not being realistic? I do realize that there are many premature, immature, people that come here just to ask about it and decide to go to japan the first month they find out about anime, etc. Because, please tell me if for whatever reason, I do not seem reasonably realistic; because from my perspective, asking questions and getting them answered in the semi-professional manner I am attempting is realistic; so I can get thinks cleared about the information I am not sure about, and getting advice from people with more experience such as you and AK about which decision to make in branches and forks of paths I could take.

Anyhow; I am fluent in Japanese, and will be more so as years go by. I am very interested about that 1 year study you were talking about, and is it possible to extend it to even more?

Also, I have been doing some research after I read AK's post about the Bachelor's degree for music. If any of you have any notation about this; I'd like some information about it.

And I'm reading the thread with the notifications I'm getting via email and Kevin's response for AK. Haha; I saw that one coming too. I'm typing this as soon as I see you posts. And again; thanks for your advice. I truly appreciate it.

thinks 2009/8/17 17:16
I didn't mean to say thinks; it slipped my mind. I meant to say thoughts.

Realistic 2009/8/17 17:40
Just as long as you understand that it's not simply something that can just happen that's fine.

By your first post you came across to me as someone who just wanted it to all happen so you could live in Japan. My apologies for making that mistake.
There are a lot of hoops to jump through to get into Japan as discussed by AK and myself.

When I had a look into Music degrees with studying in Japan I actually couldn't find a lot. I probably just don't know the best places to look for that. I found a TON to do with drawing and fashion :(
I suppose a degree in your home country would go a long way towards this career.
You can study as much as you want in Japan so long as you can afford to keep yourself there and still are valid for visa application.

To be honest I think getting to Japan to do what you want would be among the most difficult for someone to do. Not impossible for sure. It's kind of a tricky one. It's not like you have people on these forums who have been in exactly your situation and have succeeded with their goal of yours.
So ultimately I cannot provide any advise regarding a musical career in Japan :(

Thank you. 2009/8/17 17:43
Again, thanks so much for your effort. I am still pondering as to whether it is ok to continue striving towards being a Guitarist in Japan being ok if I was to go with the art or fashion, since they're both also something I am interested in. What do you think? I am doing some research as we speak as well.

Again, thanks for your effort. If there is anyway I could repay you I would definitely attempt my best at it. :)

Goals 2009/8/17 17:55
I guess people need goals in life otherwise it's not worth living.
I'm not going to say its good or not good to strive to be a Guitarist in Japan.
At least Language will not be an issue for you, that would be the biggest hoop for most.

Note if you are going to start looking in the future to apply for jobs get yourself a JLPT cert.

Thank you. 2009/8/17 18:00
Ooh, thank you for that recommendation; I'll attempt for that as well. Anyways; what do you think about having the guitarist dream something I'm going for but studying fashion or art instead of music as my major in college for my BD? Do you think that could work out?

Fashion 2009/8/17 18:10
I think ideally go to Japan doing something more career minded. Not saying guitarist isn't career minded but you want something that's more solid anyway I think.
Do the guitarist stuff on the side. Work in bars, get yourself known etc..

Fashions a funny one with me. I like fashion, I spend a fortune on it etc..
But a lot of people see Japanese fashion as being 'what the world will be in 10 years' if you know what I mean.
I see Japanese fashion as going through what America went through decades ago.
I'm not being negative, just saying my opinion in this matter :) I'm not even American.

Ultimately if you want to work towards your goal as a musician I think you should stick to it and keep music as your major. But if you want to get your foot in the door, it might be better to pursue other career options.

~ 2009/8/18 04:44
I was thinking about performing in live houses or open mics to promote myself; and also via internet. I've never actually thought about bars. Thanks for that idea. I get that a lot; when I talk about Japanese fashion when it's compared to American and I understand what your saying; haha. But my question is are there any differences as to pursuing my dream with one major and doing the guitar thing on the side; BUT still concentration on the guitar enough so that it's still considered around 50:50 with my studies? Will there actually be a huge difference what my major was when it comes to being noticed by any promotions; because as for guitar I obviously won't stop practicing anytime at all and I will continue to study it whether it's intentional or not.

Anyways, thanks again; and I got a kick of laughter over the fashion part; haha.

. 2009/8/18 05:23
My friend is a World class (he's played with famous people and still does in Japan)guitar and other stringed instruments player. You know how much money he makes there? Lots!!!!!....As a English professor at a University. Guitar playing won't make enough money unless you are famous there. I suggest you think of guitar playing as a hobby that might make you some drink money and if you want to live in Japan concentrate on a career that pays well there.
Visit first.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

@. 2009/8/18 05:25
I see. I heard teaching english is always good; but I heard that you need some good licenses and some credentials or something for it; have any idea?

That's been covered... 2009/8/18 07:48
A good idea would be to search on this site and elsewhere, as there is a huge amount of info already out there about how to teach English in Japan.

Basically you need a Bachelor's degree and to be a native English speaker or very close- no other qualifications required.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread