Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can I return to japan 2009/8/18 13:04
hi, plead guilty to negligent driving to cause injury or death in japan. and was put on probation for 5 yrs. i left japan to the US. it has been 2 1/2 years since. And i was wanting to return to japan. because my wife is from their and she wants to visit her family and im trying to get a job on base. will i be able to return. They never said i could not leave nor did they say i could not come back. they actually released my passport back to me. so my question is would i be able to return to japan with my family
by Tyrone Green (guest)  

Ask J Embassy 2009/8/18 16:29
Your answer can be answered only by people at the Japanese embassy or consulate. Judging from what you described, I feel there is a good chance a civil case is pending against you even though the criminal case against you has been dealt with. It is quite feasible that a victim(s) of your neglectful driving might have sued you for damages, but since you left Japan, the case might be on hold. It is possible that you could be in trouble when you return for other reasons as well. You wife should return for a visit by herself.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Legal 2009/8/18 19:05
I think you need proper legal advice on this issue.
I personally believe what you did will have serious implications in any future visa application procedures for you though.
You will most likely have no issues visiting as a tourist but applying for a visa will most likely be refused.
Note that conditions of probation almost always state you are not permitted to leave the country without permission of the probation officer. Were the terms of your probation clear to you when the sentence was passed down?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

no 2009/8/19 00:55
it's highly unlikely and from the sound of it you don't deserve to be back, please don't come back.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread