Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Homestay questions 2009/8/19 09:21
For the past two weeks I have been researching homestay options since I am thinking about saving up my own money and spending 2 weeks in Japan, and since many hotels would be too expensive for 2 weeks I think doing Homestay would be more efficient cost-wise.

Right now I am communicating with a homestay family and their guest room sounds nice! TV, Wi-Fi, bed, etc but since they are in an apartment I am guessing I will have to share the bathroom and I have heard strange stories about japanese bathrooms.

Also the ability have meals provided and/or cook on my own sounds good if I eat what they eat, and getting picked up at the airport doesn't sound too bad.

I was just wondering what to expect when I am living with a homestay family in Japan and if there is any cultural things involved?
by Brio  

. 2009/8/19 11:51
I can't really say I've been to a Japanese house with two or more "bathrooms". Also I'm just curious about what "strange stories" you've heard about Japanese bathrooms, because I used one every day.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm 2009/8/19 12:32
Well I hear they have different kind of toilets than are what standard in america, should I be worried or did I hear wrong?
by Brio rate this post as useful

differences 2009/8/19 13:33
It would be very, very unusual for there to be a japanese style squat toilet in the apartment you would be staying in, especially if they have foreign students staying. You will see squat toilets in some department stores and train stations, but almost no-one has them in their homes any more.

In any case, aren't you coming to Japan to experience a new culture and a different lifestyle? You can't expect things to be like they are at home.

Anything else about Japanese bathrooms that worried you, or just the possibility of a squat toilet?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

All you have to do is to ask 2009/8/19 16:34
Hello again Brio,

Are you saying that as long as the toilet is western style, you don't mind sharing it? If so, all you have to do is ask what style toilet they have.

But keep in mind that even cafes in Paris can have squat toilets. If you go experience a different culture, the potty comes along with it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

for a holiday or for the culture? 2009/8/19 19:29
well, are you going there for a touristy holiday, or to experience the culture?

If you are going there to experience the culture, I would stop worrying about the weird bathrooms, etc. as that is all part of the culture. If you just want a holiday, to do some personal sightseeing, but cannot afford a hotel, youth hostels are a good idea.

Bear in mind that staying with a host family isnt like just renting a room. The whole point of it being a host 'family' is that they are like family to you while you are in Japan. They are opening up their home to you, and it is a unique oppertunity to experience Japan as a native person would. Yes, you will have to share bathrooms, the kitchen etc. you will also have to be respectful of your host families eating and bathing times, and be flexible to work your plans around them. you also couldnt bring friends home with you, and i would expect you would want to spend some time getting to know your host family, and not just stay in your room whenever you aren't out sightseeing. Your hostfamily would know their way around all the popular sightseeing spots, so this is a great advantage if you werent confident on getting around by yourself.

The toilet will most likely be western, and I loved my japanese bathroom when i was there. When you have a bath you must wash yourself in the wash area first, and make sure all the shampoo etc is washed off your body before you go into the bath. The whole family will share the same bath water, so do not let it out when you have finished.

I found my homestay to be extrememly rewarding, but you have to be willing to get to know your family. I wouldnt reccommend it for someone who isnt a 'people' person, or who likes their privacy.

Just my opinion though ^^
by Shizu (guest) rate this post as useful

as for cultural things. 2009/8/19 19:42
I didnt really Think about cultural Things, apart from how to bathe correctly, but other Things to be mindful of include:

always take your shoes off when you go into the house.

Dont wear any type of footwear on the tatami mats.

Be polite and considerate to your host family, like not playing loud music (not really a cultural thing, but.)

If you eat with them, it is polite to eat everything you are given, if it is a share-meal (where there are dishes on the table to choose from) then dont take more than you will eat. It is very rude to refuse food flat out, especially if your host family has cooked it, at least try it, and finish whatever is on your plate.

you can slurp your noodles!

chopstick etiquitte: dont stab your food with the chopsticks. Dont wave them around, or stick them into your food and leave them there, they must be rested on top of your bowl or on the chopstick rest when not using them.

Im sure your hostfamily would be impressed if you bowed to them when you meet them, and if you know some basic japanese and show an interest in learning the language- if they speak english they prabably would want to practise their english with you too!

thats all the cultural things I can think of now, but there are many more. Being a foreign tourist, you wont be expected to know all of these, but it will impress your hostfamily if you do, and leave a good impression!

Also, if you are ever not sure of what to do- just copy what your hostfamily does!
by Shizu (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks for the answers 2009/8/20 02:18
Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it!

hahah 2009/8/20 05:46
hey you know what...when i was there i stayed at a Prince hotel...they didnt have squat toilets but the toilet seat was freaking weird and funny at the same time...it can be heated up and it sprays your u know what to clean...and its hot water OUCH!!! but i had a blast in japan even though i was traveling alone...
by ddd (guest) rate this post as useful

:) 2009/8/20 16:27
Hi Brio,

I am surprised when I heard you mentioned weird stories about toilets in Japan. As for squat toilets, itfs not scary (I personally think this is the wrong word to use), I was using it and still use it sometimes if I happened to go to some places where there are only squat toiletsc. itfs just squatting instead of sitting. By the way, these squatting toilets can be seen in some places in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam I am not sure Korea, Thailand etcc. (usually like what Sira posted itfs in some department stores, train stations)c. You must experience a new culture and a new lifestyle when you travel no? Like Sira mentioned you canft expect everything to be the same as your own country if that is the same everywhere why travel? Sorryc.

As for removing shoes, I think this applies to most Asian countries, Japan, not sure Korea, but China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia you name itc.. I know Caucasians wear shoes into the house and Asians donft. As for slurping your noodles, itfs only Japanese, Chinese considered this as rude! Chopsticks etiquette like donft stab your food with chopsticks, itfs actually same for Chinese. The rest posted by Shizu on chopstick etiquette applies to Chinese too.

Always be courteous and think of how would you like to be treated and you should treat others with respect and courtesy, I think it applies to everywhere in the world, you will be welcome.
by Blossom88 rate this post as useful

Hmm 2009/8/21 10:54
I feel a lot better now and I'm not worried anymore. Thanks for the explanations!

reply to this thread