Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Language schools 2009/8/19 20:55
Okay so. I'm planning to move Japan next year, study in language school for year/ year and half and then study undergraduate degree there (might do master to, in Japan or elsewhere) so I need a language school.

I have been thinking about ISI, Yamasa and Naganuma. Which one would be the best if I seriously want to go to university in Japan? Is Yamasa still the best one? I have been going trough this forum and most of the entries I have found are quite old.

I'm not all about Tokyo, so Yamasa would be amazing as it would also have cheaper living expenses. But I know a girl who studied in ISI and entered in Bunka so...Argh, I don't know which one would be the best. Help me?

With prior Japanese knowledge, could I make it in the university with 15months intensive studying? (this, of course depends of the person, but if I really study hard? :D)

Also, I'm wondering about the money issue. Do you guys think that with about 20 000dollars I could survive for let's say, six months without working? If I can't get a part time job, that is.

...Thanks and bye.
by elis (guest)  

Language School -Naganuma 2009/8/22 15:53
I went to Naganuma for 9 months and found it to be quite good. Obviously, some teachers were better than others, but generally, you have between two and four teachers each week (a homeroom teacher, and then a few others - they stick with you for the semester), so you're bound to get a few really good ones at least, especially in the lower levels. To get into uni., you need your 1kyu in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (the test is now done twice a year) and if you want to get that in a year and a half, prepare to study hard, especially kanji. You'll be in classes with people who either know kanji (Taiwanese, Chinese etc.) or who have been exposed to kanji (Korean), so if you are from a western country, you are going to be a bit behind. But it can be done!
As for money, I think they estimate that a year of tuition will be about $8000 (Naganuma is 225 000Yen for the first semester, 175 000 for others, except summer is a little cheaper, I think), so if you live in Tokyo, $20 000 might be cutting it a little close. Housing will cost between $400 and $1000+ per month in the Tokyo area (if you want cheap and don't mind a bit of squalor, think guest house), and then transportation, food and entertainment on top... But with a student visa, you can apply for a part-time work permit and some of my classmates worked in izakaya (Japanese-style bars) and fast food places, so I'm sure you could get a job. When you look for housing, make sure you check the transportation costs from the cheaper places to your school against the more expensive, but more central places - you might find they even out.
Check out Oak House and Sakura House - both guest houses with cheap shared accommodation as well as more expensive private accommodation, in various areas. And check out www.jorudan.co.jp/english for train times and prices. Buses often cost 210yen per ride, so don't forget to tack that on when necessary.

Good luck!
by Heldabelle (guest) rate this post as useful

Clarification 2009/8/22 15:56
Sorry, your money question was about six months - I'd say $20 000 would be more than ample.
by Heldabelle (guest) rate this post as useful

finally~ 2009/8/22 22:58
Ah, thank you for your answer ^^. I'm going to study kanjis before hand, since i have got one year with nothing to do (other than work&save money) so probably I'm not going to be so much behind.

So yeah, Must studu hard now and there.

Now I'd be eternaly gratefull if somebody had opinions about Yamasa and ISI, because I like thoe a bit better than naganuma.
by elis (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread