Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Connect from airport to Mt. Fuji/Hakone? 2009/8/27 15:47
Hi fellow forum users,

I am planning my maiden trip to Japan this coming Oct and will appreciate advice on the following options:

a. I will be arriving at Narita Int Airport at 0750 hrs. As it is clearly too early to check in, I was contemplating on purchasing the JREast ''Suica & N'Ex'' combo (Y3500), use N'Ex to Shinjuku and transfer to Hakone using Hakone Free Pass (Y5000). From here, I want to visit Mt. Fuji, and then back to Ikebukuro where I will be staying. All in, I will like to stay around 2 days in Mt. Fuji/Hakone region.

b. Alternatively, from Tokyo (don't really know which station), to Kawaguichiko using Kawaguichiko Saiko Free Kippu (Y4600) and then make my way from there to Hakone (again don't know how) before heading back to Ikebukuro.

With all the travelling, will it be more economical to purchase a Japan Rail Pass (Y28300)? If I were to purchase the JRP, I was thinking of maybe optimising by travelling to Osaka too.

Thanks for your advice.
by stede  

... 2009/8/28 07:35
If you go to Hakone, don't travel via Shinjuku. Take the Narita Express to Ofuna instead (although note that not all trains go all the way to Ofuna) and then take the JR Tokaido Line from there to Odawara, where you can buy the Hakone Free Pass.

The Japan Rail Pass does not pay off for a side trip to Hakone. But it does pay off for a round trip Tokyo-Osaka within 7 days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Fuji detour?? 2009/8/28 12:48
Hi Uji,

Thank you for your response.

I did a little more research and became aware of the Odawara connection. Understand that if I were to get a Hakone Free Pass there, I will get a discount (3900 instead of 5000).

However, I am struck with another dilemma because in the same website, I was introduced to the Fuji Hakone Free Pass. This, if I am not wrong solves my connection from Hakone to Mt. Fuji Five Lakes region. But unlike the Hakone Free Pass, it does not seem to be offered at a discount. If that is true, I will have to connect via Shinjuku. Am I right?

With these equations, I am also wondering if Fuji Five Lakes is worth the visit, in the month of Oct.

Thank you for your kind advice in advance.

by stede rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/29 01:05
If that is true, I will have to connect via Shinjuku. Am I right?

Yes, that is right.

With these equations, I am also wondering if Fuji Five Lakes is worth the visit, in the month of Oct.

October is a nice month to visit the area.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread