Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Minatomirai to Yamashita 2009/8/28 15:20
I was planning on walking from the Minatomirai 21 area of Yokohama down to Yamashita park, but I now see that there's a 10min boat trip that does the same route?

Can anyone tell me what the route is like between Minatomirai station and the park? Is it a pleasant stroll along tree lined quiet streets or is it more like walking along the side of a 6-lane highway with no pavement?
by mgal  

. 2009/8/28 16:37
From the Minatomirai district to Yamashita Park, it is designed so that tourists and locals can enjoy a pleasant walk.

To be precise, from say the Minatomirai Station you can enjoy a walk through the modern mall and food court, perhaps passing a street performer or two if it's a weekend, and then crossing a canel with the view of the fairground, on through a little grassy park by the sea, passing guard ships on to the old Red Brick Warehouses which is also a mall, and then there is a lifted pedestrian way overlooking the sea up to Osanbashi port, then from there you can enjoy a short walk through the old town to Yamashita Park.

So it's not like cars will be whizzing right beside you at full speed. Trees, there are some, but generally it's not a shady path. So if the weather is too hot or if it's a crowded weekend, whether you can enjoy the walk depends on your preference. But there are plenty of cafes and spots for you to rest.

The boat ride requires no reservation, so why not decide on the spot. There is also the "Hamachari" rental bicycles in which you are free to drop off at any of the several "stations" they have in the whole touristical district of Yokohama.
http://niceyokohama.web.infoseek.co.jp/station.html

You can ask for more details at the train stations or at the tourist information center in front of Sakuragicho Station.

Have fun!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Walk 2009/8/28 16:46
Thanks Uco, that's just what I need to know, that it's a fairly nice walk. Like you said, I'll decide there and then whether to do it, and nice idea about the bike.
by mgal rate this post as useful

reply to this thread