Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying Japanese in Japan? 2009/9/1 02:49
Hello. I am curious and interested in studying in Japan. I would like to study short-term at a language institute.

Does anyone have ANY information they can give me?
Programs, scholarships, or anything?

Thanks alot!
by Thomas (guest)  

... 2009/9/1 08:48
When you say short-term, how long are you thinking of? ANy preference for area/location in Japan? There are many Japanese language schools to choose from.
by AK rate this post as useful

To AK 2009/9/1 13:03
When I say short term, I would say anything around 6 months to 2 years.

I am not to choosy about location or anything. I am sure bigger cities may be more expensive, so I do not mind going to a less developed part of Japan.

I have been considering this for months and I feel like I am ready to do something about it. Any information to get me started would be fantastic, especially scholarships.

Thanks in advance!
by Thomas172 rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/1 13:24
Studying at Japanese language schools is considered as preparation for attending a university course in Japan, or for own interest, so it is mostly self-funded (or you are expected to), so I would not really expect a lot of scholarship programs available for language studies. The ministry of education (MEXT) does have some scholarship programs for college/university students, though.

There are many, really many Japanese language schools all over Japan - a few of the names that have been mentioned on this forum that I recall are: Yamasa Institute (in Okazaki, Aichi prefecture, where Nagoya is located) and Naganuma School (in Shibuya, Tokyo). Try searching this forum with "language study" and I am sure you will find other threads you might find helpful :)

To AK... 2009/9/1 13:35
Thanks again. I mainly just need information on how much it can cost, and things like that. There are a bunch of schools I found. I was just wondering if there was any scholarships for maybe High School graduates, rather than college/university students.

. 2009/9/1 14:50
Can you get a student visa or what ever its called to study Japanese?

How long does the visa usually last, and you can work a part time job while your studying in Japan cant you?
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/1 15:12
Thomas172,
I think it might be best to check individual schools' websites for information on tuition; just to give you an idea, one school (Yamasa):
http://www.yamasa.org/acjs/english/programs/tuition.htm...

Aaron,
I am not sure if it is called "Student visa" or "Pre-college visa," but yes those wishing to study in Japan will be applying for either of these types of visa, which, depending on the length of the program, is either 6 months or 1 year (I believe), to be renewed if needed.
Those on student visa are allowed to do part-time job up to a limited number of hours per week, but you cannot work during the first few or several months into your study (you need to ask for a separate permit to engage in any paid work), and you need to maintain good attendance and good grades.

. 2009/9/2 02:26
Most language students get pre-college student visas, however some do get college student visas if the program is affiliated with a university.

There are many programs out there, some are for university prep, but there are other ones that go with general conversation (daily life) type of things. It just depends on the school. Many exist in Japan, many mentioned here on Japan guide as well.

In the case of precollege student visas, they are valid up to 2 years, however you have to renew everywhere, if you attendance is bad, your renewal might be denied or shortened (I know of people where this has happened), so it is very important to keep your attendance good.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/9/2 02:37
Thanks alot for the help. I will continue to search for good schools. If anyone knows of any other language schools, please let me know.

I more so want to study for daily life skills and cultural learning, rather than preparation for a university. Are there good schools for that and a decent price? I found many that require a Bachelor's Degree, which I do not have.

Again, thanks for the help.

reply to this thread