Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass (8 nights in Tokyo + Kyoto) 2009/9/1 15:45
Hi I will be spending 8 nights in Japan (3 Tokyo, 4 Kyoto and 1 Tokyo again) and coming from Narita Airport.

How should I plan my transportation? I know the JR pass only has like 7 days validity while I'm staying for 9 days. Goes to say I can either activate it earlier, or later, but I don't know which is better.

Any smart ideas or suggestions for me? Thank you!
by Sim (guest)  

... 2009/9/1 17:54
If you stay at a hotel that is easily accessible by Narita Express, I recommend to use a NEX&Suica package in the beginning and use the 7-day pass from day 3 to include your trip back to the airport.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Another question 2009/9/1 19:18
Hi Uji-san, thanks for replying! I've checked on the NEX&Suica.

I'm staying in the Ueno area and know the NEX does not go directly there. If I do buy that, I will have to transfer from Tokyo station right - will that cost much?

Since I will be touring Tokyo on day 2, I am also considering using the Keisei (express) line on day 1 and day 9, while using the JR Pass for days 2 to 8. Would this be a better/cheaper option than the one you suggested?

Basically my question would be, the Suica has a value of 1,500 right - would this be enough for a day's travelling around Tokyo.. say visiting some 3-4 attractions? (Not disneyland of cause)
by Sim (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/1 20:37
- I think Uji's suggestion is better - Japan Rail Pass is more beneficial for long-distance trips or where you would need to pay limited express surcharge. If you use the last valid day of your JR Pass on your departure day, you know for sure that you will use it for 3,000 yen worth (a single Narita Express ticket including its limited express surcharge). But if you travel *within* Tokyo on day 2, you are unlikely to spend that much on JR trains. I think it makes more sense to save the last valid day of your Japan Rail Pass for the way back to the airport :)

- Also, with NEX & Suica, you will have the Suica prepaid card - which can be used on both JR trains AND Metro subways within Tokyo, which comes in handy, because not all travel within Tokyo can be covered by JR. I think 1,500 yen charge on your prepaid card will get you to many places within Tokyo.
by AK rate this post as useful

9 days 2009/9/1 21:46
Sim,
I suggest the following:
day 1
at airport buy Nex-Suica Card for Yen 3500. With the Narita Airport Express go to Tokyo station, do not leave the station but continue by JR Yamanote line to Ueno. Fully covered by Nex part.
day 2
use the Yen 1500 of the Suica for all your inner-Tokyo travel
day 3 first day of JR 7 day Rail Pass
day 9 last day of JR 7 day Rail Pass for your travel to Narita airport.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks! 2009/9/1 23:59
Thank you AK and Peter for all the detailed answers and the swift response. Really much appreciated!

by Sim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread