Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

fm radio band is not the same? 2009/9/1 18:12
in my country fm radio is 88-108mhz but i read in japan its only 70-90mhz, is this true, if so how I can listen to local pop music? i dont want to buy a japanese only radio.
by nicholas (guest)  

fm radio 2009/9/1 19:07
The Japanese radio band is actually 76-90 MHz. Since your radio doesn't tune to those frequencies it seems the only option is to buy a Japanese radio. Where are you in Japan btw?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Japanese radio receivers 2009/9/2 04:06
: i dont want to buy a japanese only radio.

Some radio models designed for wide-ranging FM are offered by Japanese manufacturers.

I sometimes use my portable synth-tuning radio receiver when I catch an FM.
It seems that FM sound (both in mono and in stereo) tends to be clearer with portable radios than with large radio & recorder combos / compos.
Generally speaking, it's easier to adjust frequency at synth-tuning models, while analog-tuning models are available at lower prices.

Examples: Portable radio models designed for wide-ranging FM:
- SONY: SRF-M807: 1 speaker / 2 phones:
FM 76 - 108 MHz
(Mono / Stereo, 0.05 MHz-step synth-tuning).
- Panasonic: RF-ND180R: 1 speaker / 1 phone:
FM 76 - 90 MHz or 87.5 - 108 MHz (depending on the area setting)
(Mono, 0.1 MHz-step synth-tuning).
- TOSHIBA: BK-562: 1 speaker / 2 phones:
FM 76 - 108 MHz (analog-tuning).

I suppose most of recent Japanese portable radio models have at least 3 band modes: analogue AM, analogue FM, analogue TV sound (1 - 3 Ch).
TV broadcastings in Japan are now on the shift to digital broadcastings; analogue TV broadcastings are scheduled to be ended by 2011. (Digital radio broadcastings are still at their tentative stage).

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

FM radio 2009/9/2 10:48
My Zune can be switched to Japan FM. Maybe Ipod is the same?
by Junya (guest) rate this post as useful

ipod 2009/9/2 11:02
Ipod's don't have built in fm receivers. However, you could buy and accessory one in Japan that would receive local stations.

nicholas,

where do you plan to listen to the radio? have you thought about streaming it over the internet?

re radio 2009/9/2 11:47
hello all, I just wanted to hear how many stations and what sort of music each area or city plays, mostly pop, traditional, any english etc. just the sort of thing you pick up on a local radio. dont actually want to use the internet, more kind of what a bedside clock radio will pick up. thanks
by nicholas (guest) rate this post as useful

radio stations 2009/9/2 13:13
I just wanted to hear how many stations and what sort of music each area or city plays, mostly pop, traditional, any english

Each area has a few stations of each type that you mentioned. And if you are close enough to the US military bases you can pick up their English broadcast.

not a lot of choice, then 2009/9/3 09:03
If you don't want to use the internet, and don't want to buy a new radio, then it would seem your only hope is to find a station between 88 and 90 Hz, or.... not listen to the radio. They come pretty cheap these days by the way.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread