Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass ofr in Tokyo - confused? 2009/9/1 21:44
I have hunted round the internet but i'm getting different information so trying to get someone experienced to clarify. I am travelling to Tokyo in mid October, landing in Narita airport and staying in the Nikko Hotel in Tokyo.
I was thinking of getting a 7 day JR pass to use mid holiday, so that we could take some one day hourneys to Kyoto, Mount Fuji, maybe Hiroshima. So explore Tokyo for a few days, then have few days where we we travel around on trains (coming back to Tokyo at night), and then last couple of days exploring Tokyo again. My question is though, can I use a 14 day pass around Tokyo itself? Does a JR Pass cover local Tokyo travel? Or would I need a pass for longer travel (as above) and a seperate ticket for travelling to hotel and back and around Tokyo itself? I'm confused and don't want to buy a JR pass and get it wrong!
Any help appreciated!
by rlacombe  

... 2009/9/2 10:37
The Japan Rail Pass can be used on JR trains in central Tokyo, including the very convenient JR Yamanote Line.

The transportation situation (JR and non-JR trains) in Tokyo is explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Advice 2009/9/2 13:45
Ur intention to do Kyoto, Himeji and even Hiroshima seems a bit ambitious for a day trip.

Not that it cant be done but its going to be more time on the train than actually sightseeing.

My opinion is that if you really want to travel to these places, then uproot from tokyo and stay there.

If you so decide not to travel there then the 14 day JR pass dun seem to be a worthwhile investment. I think there are other JR passess that suit travel in and around Tokyo better and at a much less price.

Drk
by Derek (guest) rate this post as useful

passes for travel 2009/9/2 14:50
Check A-Z at the very top of the forum. inside A-Z check transportation then in that page check trains, passes etc. it is all there.
Going to Kyoto from Tokyo is already 3 hrs ONE WAY !! add 1.5 hrs one way for Hiroshima.
For Hakone JR isn't really practical. Again it is all under A-Z ...and with maps too..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/2 15:00
- About day trips from Tokyo:

I do not recommend a day trip to Kyoto (though it can be done), definitely not to Hiroshima.
There are one-day bus tours to Mt. Fuji area, so it may be OK. Nearby Hakone can be done in a day trip from Tokyo too - you can use JR Pass up to Odawara (served by JR trains), then take non-JR means of transportation within Hakone, as there is no "JR" trains within Hakone area.

For Kyoto and Hiroshima, I recommend at least one overnight stay at each place; for Kyoto, you might want more days.
Even for Mt. Fuji/Hakone area, a night's stay there at a hot spring inn would be nicer :)

- If you mean Nikko Hotel Tokyo, note that the hotel itself is not directly accessible by a JR train, so you will need to pay for separate tickets. JR Pass is "Japan Rail" Pass, not "Japan" Rail Pass - some places are simply not served by JR trains.
by AK rate this post as useful

RE: Your plan 2009/9/2 20:09
: I am travelling to Tokyo in mid October, landing in Narita airport and staying in the Nikko Hotel in Tokyo.
: a seperate ticket for travelling to hotel and back and around Tokyo itself?

Your hotel's name does not include "Narita" or "Ginza," right?
Then your hotel must be Hotel Nikko Tokyo, which is located in Odaiba area.
This Hotel is connected to Daiba Station of Yurikamome. No JR line is available in this area.
You can use a prepaid IC card (Suica or PASMO) for fares in Tokyo of Yurikamome, JR-East, Tokyo Metro, Toei subway and some other railroad operators.

Daiba --[Yurikamome: 310 yen, 15 min]-- Shimbashi (West Exit) -- ;

- For Kyoto: [transfer to JR]-- Shimbashi (Track 1) --[Tokaido Line: within 5 min]-- Shinagawa --[Tokaido Shinkasnen: 2hr 40 min by HIKARI]-- Kyoto.
- - For Hiroshima: Kyoto --[Rapid / Special Rapid: within 35 min]-- Shin-Osaka --[San'yo Shinkansen: 1hr 30 min by HIKARI]-- Hiroshima.

- For Ueno (Ueno Park): [transfer to JR]-- Shimbashi (Track 5) --[Yamanote Line's inner loop: 10 min]-- Ueno (Park Exit).

- For Asakusa (Kaminarimon, Sensoji Temple, etc.): [transfer to Tokyo Metro]-- Shimbashi (Track 2) --[Ginza Line: 20 min]-- Asakusa (Exit 1 in daytime).

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

THANKS 2009/9/2 20:13
Thanks to all for this info, really helps out and I really appreciate it. I thought an early start and late return to Kyoto would work but seems not! :-) So I may need to look to get somewhere to saty for a night there instead. I'll work out train fares and see if just buying return fares for individual journeys will be cheaper than say a 7 day pass. And get another kind of pass for more local travel.
Can anyone recommend any good places around the Tokyo area (as in doable in a day!)?
by rlacombe rate this post as useful

Day trips from tokyo 2009/9/2 21:12
Mt Fuji will make a nice day trip. Nikko also. If you need man-made sights then Yokohama's Chinatown is nice too.

If you wan to do outlet shopping, Gotemba outlets are within easy reach.
by Derek (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread