Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions/Thoughts on Itinerary 2009/9/3 11:56
Planning a trip to Japan for myself - 24 days for the end of September, beginning of October. Bought the 21 day JR pass.

I've pretty much finalised my schedule, except for the daily details.

Have a couple questions and wondering if there are any improvements that can be made to my schedule.

Sept 20 (Sunday)
- Arrive at Narita @ 3pm
- Suica/NEX pass
- Want to pick-up the 2 day Tokyo Metro pass as well. Is it possible to start the first day tomorrow???
- Hotel in Ginza
(probably going to have an early night)

Sept 21 (Monday)
- Tsukuji - not sure if I want to watch the Tuna auction, but I will probably spend an hour or two there (7-8:30/9am) - is that too long?
- Sumo (Don't have a ticket but want to go line up in the morning @ 9ish- any thoughts since this is a National Holiday? Is there a good chance I can get the general admission seats?)

- Edo Tokyo Museum 10:30-2:30
- Sumo Museum from 2:30-3
- Sumo Tournament 3-6 (all approx. times)
- Evening is open- Suggestions????
- Ginza Hotel
*Activate JR pass to start using tomorrow*

Sept 22 (Tues) - JR pass day 1 (and have Metro pass as well)
- Hanarikyu Garden - Sumida Cruise to Asakusa
- Walk around Asakusa/Ueno
- Ghibli Museum
- Evening - Shinjuku (Tokyo Metro. Building for views)
** I'm pretty sure it'll be open, but if anyone knows for sure (since it's National Holidays) it would be nice to have this confirmed
** Also I'm not sure if I should do Shinjuku tonight as I'll be closer to the area in my second last evening

*** Suggestions??? ***
- Ginza Hotel

Sept 23 (Wed)
- Nikko (using JR pass)- take luggage with me
- Buy 2 day Tobu bus pass and temple pass
- Visit the temples
- Stay overnight (if time, onsen)

Sept 24 (Thurs)
- Early morning - Lake Chuzenji
- Late morning - Travel to Hakone - take luggage with me to Owadara and then use luggage shipping to my hotel
- Arrive Hakone around 2/3ish
- Buy Hakone Free Pass
****Any advice on what part of the loop I should try in the afternoon? ****
- Hakone overnight (staying near Le Petit Prince museum)

Sept 25 (Fri)
- Hakone Loop (again, suggestions on where to go, what to see)
- Hakone overnight (same hotel)

Sept 26 (Sat)
- Hakone to Matsumoto
(not sure if I'll want to re-do part of the loop)
- take luggage with me?? (advice since I don't want to lug the suitcase with me but I think I may need to do laundry in the Matsumoto hotel)
- Matsumoto Castle
- Stay overnight Matsumoto

Sept 27 (Sun)
- Bus early morning to Takayama (7:50am)
- Worried about taking my luggage on the bus - Any thoughts?
- Walk around, Jinja, museums
- Ryokan stay overnight
(anything to do in the evening?)

Sept 28 (Mon) - move luggage to next Takayama ryokan
- More sight-seeing
- Ryokan (different one)

Sept 29 (Tues) - Ship luggage to Kanazawa
- Bus to Shirakawa (maybe 11:50 or 12:50 bus)
- Sightseeing
- Gassho-zukuri
- Maybe shirakawa onsen?

Sept 30 (Wed)
- More picture taking/sight-seeing
- Bus to Gokuyama (probably at 1:10)
- Another gassho-zukuri

Oct 1 (Thurs)
- Bus to Johana station @ 11:22
- Train to Takaoka then to Kanazawa (this is only because of the JR pass... is it more worthwhile just to stay on the bus to Takaoka?)
- Kanazawa garden
- Kanazawa hotel

Oct 2 (Fri)
- Myoryuji (need to reserve)
- Samurai district/Geisha district
- Museum or two
- Kanazawa hotel - Laundry!

Oct 3 (Sat)
- Train to Uji
- take luggage with me
- Temple and also Inari Shrine
- Uji Ryokan

Oct 4 (Sun)
- Tea festival
- Kyoto

(I've been to Kyoto many times before which is why I am choosing to stay in Uji. I don't need to see the major sights of Kyoto, but I may go to one or two depending on my mood and how busy it is on Sunday)

** Any suggestions that are kind of off the beaten track in the Kyoto area?

- Uji Ryokan

Oct 5 (Mon) - Ship luggage to second hotel in Beppu
- Uji to Hiroshima
- Peace Museum
(Have already been to Hiroshima as well, but I am okay with re-visiting these sights)
- Hiroshima hotel

Oct 6 (Tues)
- Hiroshima to Beppu
- Afternoon onsen sandbath at Takegawara
- Beppu ryokan near station - Onsens available at ryokan

Oct 7 (Wed)
- Mt. Aso -have pretty much worked out the schedule, however how much time around the crater/museum area do I need? I am planning on taking the bus from Aso station at 10:40 which means I'd arrive at the crater around 11:20-ish. There is a bus back down at 12:10/1:20/2:10 . I'm thinking of the 2:10 bus so that I can catch the 3:46 train back to Beppu. Or would leaving at 12:10 give me enough time to see it all (don't want to take 1:20 bus since I'd have to wait at Aso station for the train since the train isn't leaving till 3:46)
- Staying at a different Beppu Hotel near Kannawa area

Oct 8 (Thurs)
- Hoyoland / Hyotan onsen? Any advice/suggestions on which ones to visit?
I'll be around the Kannawa area, but I'll have to bus pass probably
- Same hotel in Kannawa area - Laundry if necessary at nearby coin laundry

Oct 9 (Fri)
- Myoban / Steam onsen
- Jingoku's
- Evening onsen at Suginoi
- Same hotel in Kannawa area

Oct 10 (Sat) - Ship luggage to Narita airport or hotel near Narita (suggestions on what is cheaper/more reliable?) - I won't be picking it up until the afternoon/evening before my flight (even though it may be reliable, I'd hate for my luggage to get lost or delayed but I don't want to drag it with me on the trains back up to Tokyo)
- Morning train out to Kurashiki (would go to Okayama/Himeji but I've been already)
- Stay in Osaka
- Evening at Spa World (I love this place!)

Oct 11 (Sun)
- Early morning to Ikeda to the Instant Ramen Museum - 2.5 hours - need to reserve spot for the workshop
- Depart for Tokyo around 12
- Arrive Tokyo around 3
- Check in at hotel around Oimachi
- Afternoon/Evening around Shinjuku/Shibuya/Harajuku (any recommendations?)

** I'm not sure what to do with my evenings in Tokyo on Sept 22/23 and Oct 11. Help with this would be great

Oct 12 (Mon) - 21 days of JR pass
- Mito to visit garden
- Return to Tokyo afternoon to do last minute shopping
- Head to Narita airport to get on shuttle bus to Narita hotel (if shipped luggage to airport then pick-up now in order to re-pack/organize)and then to Narita hotel

Oct 13 (Tues)
- Flight back home!

Sorry if this is long.

Let me know if there are any improvements that you think can be made or any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

by cauliflower  

. 2009/9/3 15:53
I don't know about sumo tickets but Ghibli Museum seems to be sold out from 19th to 22nd.

I hope you booked in advance. :)
by koneko-chan (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/3 16:37
Want to pick-up the 2 day Tokyo Metro pass as well. Is it possible to start the first day tomorrow?

Yes. You can start it on any date. But it has to be used on consecutive days.

Sumo (Don't have a ticket but want to go line up in the morning @ 9ish- any thoughts since this is a National Holiday? Is there a good chance I can get the general admission seats?

There is a good chance that teh stadium will be sold out and no tickets are available. If possible, I recommend to visit on a regular weekday.

Evening - Shinjuku (Tokyo Metro. Building for views)
** I'm pretty sure it'll be open, but if anyone knows for sure (since it's National Holidays) it would be nice to have this confirmed

It is open on national holidays.

take luggage with me to Owadara and then use luggage shipping to my hotel

I assume you are familiar with such a luggage shipping service. I am not familiar with it.

Any advice on what part of the loop I should try in the afternoon?

If you arrive around 2/3, you won't have too much time left. You could take the train to Gora and then the bus to your hotel and visit maybe one sight of interest along the way.

Hakone Loop (again, suggestions on where to go, what to see)

I recommend to pick places which you are personally interested in. Here are some suggestions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

Bus early morning to Takayama (7:50am)
- Worried about taking my luggage on the bus - Any thoughts?

That should be no problem.

Bus to Johana station @ 11:22. Train to Takaoka then to Kanazawa (this is only because of the JR pass... is it more worthwhile just to stay on the bus to Takaoka?)

There is no favorable transfer at Johana Station. You would have to wait over an hour for the next train departure. But the bus is also very slow. In the end, the bus connection would probably be about half an hour faster, I believe.

Mt. Aso -have pretty much worked out the schedule, however how much time around the crater/museum area do I need?

Depending on the gas activities, it might not be possible to go up to the crater. If it is possible, most people only stay 15 minutes or so. The gas can be quite uncomfortable. Combined with the ropeway ride, one hour should be enough.

The volcano museum is not located near the crater, but along the bus route. You can walk from the lower ropeway station to the museum in about 45 minutes.

There is a basic map on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4552.html

Hoyoland / Hyotan onsen?

Hyotan Onsen for an average, nicely maintained public bath. Hoyoland for a somewhat run down, but rather unique onsen experience, including mud baths. It is a personal preference.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/9/4 05:47
koneko-chan - I have already booked my ticket with Ghibli. I'm actually thinking of switching my schedule on that day so that I can go see the museum in the morning (hopefully a less busy time), and then take my time going back to the hotel from Asakusa on the Sumida cruise. Then probably will rest at the hotel a bit before heading out for dinner / evening.

Uji - Thanks for the response (I think you reply to everyone!)

Sumo - I think I'll still TRY to get tickets to the match. If it doesn't work out, I'll still be in the area for the Edo-Tokyo museum which has good reviews. Unfortunately I'm not in Tokyo long enough to attend the tournament on a non-holiday, but I have seen a tournament in Osaka before so I will be okay if I don't get to see it again (although it is a fantastic experience).

Hakone - I'll have to do more research on what/where to go in Hakone but I still have time.

There is apparently a luggage shipping service at Odawara station - I read it on a website somewhere so I think I'll be okay.

Shirakawa-Takaoka - Since I'll be on the bus anyways, I will probably stay on it until I get to Takaoka

Mt. Aso - I think I'll leave a bit more time just in case .. thanks for the timelines

Hoyoland - I think I'd like a more unique experience Hoyoland it is!.. Thanks!
by cauliflower rate this post as useful

reply to this thread