Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

areba vs. areba koso 2009/9/3 13:59
1) As I understand it, "areba" is purely conditional, whereas "areba koso" usually means "it's all thanks to..." - meaning that the condition has already been fulfilled, correct?

Are there any circumstances where "areba" on its own can act like the above meaning of "areba koso" - not to mean "if ~, [then ~]", but to mean "thanks to"? Is the "koso" absolutely necessary to express the "thanks to" meaning?

2) A character in a story is trying to convince a depressed friend to move on with her life. He urges:

人性は前向きに! けっこうじゃないですか

I understand that the implied verb at the end of the first sentence is probably "~ ikimashou", "~ susunda hou ga ii", etc. Would the advice translate to "you have to live your life in the present", "you have to look on the bright side", something else...? Also, how would "kekkou" translate in this context? "Right?" "Isn't that right?" "Isn't that good?" Am I close?

Thanks again.
by Blenheim (guest)  

... 2009/9/3 15:47
1) "areba" is, yes, conditional. "areba koso" is emphatic, saying "ONLY if there is...." or "precisely if you just have...." or something like that, which in turn can mean "it's all thanks to," because you owe it to whatever it is that you can do something.

Could you give the sentence(s) where you've encountered these?
Sorry, I can't come up with good examples here.
家族があれば、喜びも分かち合える。(If you have a family, joy can be shared.)
家族があればこそ、喜びも分かち合える。(If you have a family, indeed, joy can be shared.) = Thanks to one's family....

あなたがいればこそ、私はがんばれたのです。(With you around, I could do my best. = Thanks to your presence..)
あなたの支援があればこそ、私は成功できたのです。(With your support, I could succeed. = Thanks to your support...)

2) 人性は前向きに! けっこうじゃないですか

You mean "人生は," right? The first sentence is like "Be positive in life!" So with the verb omitted filled in: 人生は前向きになりましょう!人生は前向きになれ!人生は前向きに生きましょう!

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the second sentence without knowing what's happened in the story before, and without knowing what phrase comes right after this. To me, this けっこうじゃないですか seems to say "(The situation you're in now) is quite alright, isn't it (if you think about...)." kind of reassuring line.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/8 14:48
1. I can't disguise that the first is from a fantasy novel. A character is explaining his tribe's unique abilities regarding magic:

私たちは、本狽ニ血があれば聖句はいらないです。

The problem is that everyone from this tribe has this characteristic, regardless of heritage or other factors. It seems odd to qualify the statement that way; it would make more sense to says that the ability is just thanks to those factors, but the grammar doesn't seem to support it.

2. Yes, 人生; typo, sorry. The circumstances of the story: Two acquaintances are moving away from their hometown. One is excited about the trip itself but has been very depressed about leaving. The second reminds her that there are plenty of settlements of expatriates of their nationality where they can relocate, then says the 人性は前向きに lines. The first friend then asks:

「貴方の仕事は?」(What about your job?)
「一週間もあれば、引継ぎはすませます」(I'll be able to let someone else take it over in 1 more week.)

It seems not to be directly related to the "kekkou" question immediately preceding.

Thank you very much for your patience again; I appreciate all the help.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/8 15:49
1. 私たちは、本狽ニ血があれば 聖句はいらないです。
I think you are reading too much into this sentence :) This one plainly says:
- If we have our instincts and our blood, we don't need any sacred words.
- As long as we have our instincts...

2. Then it only menas "It's alright" or "You've got nothing to complain," "THings are alright," kind of a reassuring line.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread