Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taxes for food? 2009/9/5 04:04
i always read things like 320yen (w/ tax315yen. being a tourist, i read that, for example, in akihabara, if i buy a camera, i don't have to pay taxes. is it the same thing for food? is yes, how can i avoid paying taxes?
by laura89 (guest)  

Only for certain items in certain places 2009/9/5 08:38
No, it is only some expensive items that may be tax free for foreigners, or that you may be able to get a refund on at the airport, and only items bought from certain places.

It is not in any way possible a to buy food items from a convenience store or at a restaurant/cafe or elsewhere and somehow not pay the tax.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

5-10% of your food bill 2009/9/6 08:57
The tax you're paying for food is called "consumption tax" and is only 5%. For example, if a sandwich has a price tag saying "105 yen," 5 yen is the tax. It's nothing, and it is always included in the price tag, so you won't end up being charged anything unexpectedly.

Sometimes expensive restaurants charge service tax. This is about 10% and is often mentioned in the corner of your menu. But in Japan, you don't have to leave a tip. Everything is included in your bill.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

tax 2009/9/7 11:24
being a tourist, i read that, for example, in akihabara, if i buy a camera, i don't have to pay taxes. is it the same thing for food?

No, as others said there is no tax exemption on food. Duty free for tourists in Japan is only offered at the point of purchase (the store) and in only offered on a store by store basis. Not all stores offer duty free service but many large department stores and electronics stores do, especially ones that deal with lots of tourists. Also, know that there is no tax refund service available at the airport. If you had to pay tax when purchasing then there is no way of getting that refunded.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

food 2009/9/8 05:05
laura89, out of curiosity, do tourists in your country get the food tax back when they leave??
in many countries they only give a tax refund on non-food items if the amount paid in ONE STORE is above a certain amount (in Europe it is around 175 Euros) . You can't add the taxes paid in 3 ,4 etc. different places to make at least that amount.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread