Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

address format 2009/9/6 13:53
Is this the correct format for mailing a letter to Japan?
name
sunhaem nakameguro
153-0043 higashiyama meguro-ku, tokyo-to
japan
by koa (guest)  

. 2009/9/6 17:40
NAME
301 Sunhaem Nakameguro
Higashiyama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo
153-0043
JAPAN

Is what I would do.

Meguro-not Meguru
Tokyo-To, however simply TOKYO is fine.

Truthfully speaking as long as the postal code is correct 153-0041, and the partment/house number the rest doesn't matter as the postal code contains all that information.

------------------
However "301" doesn't seem like a valid addressing system. Usually it's something like X-X-X, could you mean 3-0-1 instead?

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/6 21:22
I think you might actually be missing the town section/street number.

As far as I can see,
- "301 Sunhaem Nakameguro" sounds like the room number and the apartment building name
- "153-0043" sounds like the postal code.

So... you might be missing something. I would check with the one who gave you the address...

If the addressee meant "Sunheim Nakameguro," then the address for that apartment is:
"1-5-1 Higashiyama."

So it *could* be:
Name
301 Sunhaem Nakameguro
1-5-1 Higashiyama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo
153-0043 Japan
by AK rate this post as useful

RE: address format 2009/9/6 21:58
(Prefix) (Name)
301 Sanhaimu Nakameguro,
1-5-1 Higashiyama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo
153-0043 JAPAN

I've found 153-0043 as the correct zip code (= postal code) for Higashiyama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo.
In most cases, a zip code in Japan refers only to an area, so even when you write it, you can not omit the house number, the block number or so.

The number 301 must be the house number in the condominium "Sanhaimu Nakameguro," which exists in 1-5-1 Higashiyama, Meguro-ku.

"Sanhaimu" seems to be coming from English "Sun" and German "Heim" (= house),
but I think "Sanhaimu" is better for a postal deliverer to recognize it.

The numbers 1-5-1 are the subarea [chome] number 1, the block number 5, the sub-block number 1 in this order. If these numbers are omitted, postal workers should detect the house by the condominium name and the house number.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread