Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Multiple Re-entry permit inquiry. 2009/9/8 19:11
I'm familiar with how to get a multiple re-entry permit to travel back and forth from Japan to America. If I go to America is there a time limit in which I have to return to Japan with the permit ? I may have to go to the states to work and earn money for a few months and want to know how long I can stay out of Japan for the permit to still be valid ?
by frank65  

reentry 2009/9/9 10:35
I'm familiar with how to get a multiple re-entry permit to travel back and forth from Japan to America. If I go to America is there a time limit in which I have to return to Japan with the permit?

Yes, the multiple reentry permit is valid up to the expiration of your visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Multiple Re-entry permit inquiry. 2009/9/9 11:29
So I could leave for the U.S., and for example, work there for a year and come back or even three years since my visa is good until 2012. Thanks.
by frank65 rate this post as useful

Not necessarily 2009/9/9 12:20
Well, because the purpose of a working visa is that you are employed in Japan, if you were away for more than a year you might be considered by Immigration to have stopped carrying out the activities that the visa is intended for (i.e. employment in Japan), and not be allowed in on the same status.

Theoretically you are not supposed to be out of work more than 3 months on a working visa, although if you are in Japan it is rarely picked up on. If you are out of Japan for that amount of time though, it will be very obvious.

I left Japan for 8 months on a working visa and was allowed back in no questions asked on the same status, but since then they have introduced the "3 monh rule"- I don't think you can assume the same thing would happen for longer periods.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Multiple Re-entry permit inquiry. 2009/9/9 12:27
Actually I'm not here on a special work visa. I have a spouse visa so maybe that makes some sort of difference.

No Proplem 2009/9/9 15:25
Spousal visa No Problem.
Don't Worry you have no problems what so ever, Just come back before the visa expires.

3 month rule, I never heard of it.
I was gone for over a year on a working visa and came back with out any problems.

by DES (guest) rate this post as useful

Multiple Re-entry permit inquiry. 2009/9/9 15:46
I'll tell you the japan Guide Forum is outstanding. I have asked questions in the past and always receive accurate answers. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the information. Much appreciated.

3 Month 2009/9/9 16:22
I think the 3 month rule only applies to single re-entry permits.

by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

re entry permit? 2009/9/30 13:32
Hi guys. Quick question, really urgent. I'm in tokyo as a visitor and I want to go to Korea. Then I have to come back to Japan. But I still don't understand if I have to ask for re-entry permit. Also, that would probably need an Alien registration card, which I don't have. The immigration office call line told me that if I had to go to Korea and then come back to Japan,they would simply issue another temporary vista(so it's like they would prolong it basically). I have to be sure about this because after this I have to take care of important things in Tokyo, so I can't screw up..

thank you very much guys
by tank (guest) rate this post as useful

tank 2009/9/30 13:42
don't worry you don't need any cards or permits. When you leave Japan your current stay will end, and when you come back you will be issued a new 90 day temporary stay. I only foresee a problem if you stayed close to the 90 day limit on your first stay. They it would appear to immigration that you may be working illegally and they might not grant a second stay.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/30 14:22
As mentioned temporary visitors don't need re-entry permits. You just leave and return and get a new temporary visitor's permit. You shouldn't run into any troubles UNLESS you were in Japan for 90 days, left for korea for a few days then attempted to return to Japan.
by Expresstrain (guest) rate this post as useful

thx 2009/9/30 16:45
thank you guys, that's what i needed. Should have asked here before
by Tank (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread