Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

oni and tenma 2009/9/9 00:29
What is the difference between oni and tenma? i just think tenma sounds better but i dont know if there is a difference the site said they both mean demon but im pretty sure it differs a little but not totally sure
by nothingfacexii  

. 2009/9/9 12:06
"Oni" means evil spirit. "Tenma" is Japanese for Pegasus.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/9 12:15
Oops. There is another "temna" which means demon in Buddhism. I think that's what you meant.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/9 19:23
"Tenma" *can* be "demon" or "pegasus" - the first one is written 天魔 ("sky" and "evil") and the second one 天馬 ("sky" and "horse"), both ending with the sound "-ma" by coincidence.

Actually, if you say "oni" to Japanese, there are some visual image that most people will come up with - which is not as smart (if I may say so) as "demon," but more of human-like creatures with exaggerated features... look at "oni" in Wikipedia for this one :)

"Tenma" (the "sky" and "evil" one of course) seems to have some buddhist origin, and can take different shapes, so it might be closer to "evil spirit."
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/10 20:27
"Tengu" 天狗?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

''tenma'' is not popular 2009/9/13 01:59
I'm middle-aged native Japanese, but I heard the word ''tenma'' for the first time. As far as I serched, ''tenma'' is a word for Buddhism, and not familliar for ordinary Japanese people.
In contrast, ''oni'' is very popular word for evil spirit. Even children knows.
by Yoshino (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread