Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working/teaching as a musician in Japan? 2009/9/9 07:41
So I am considering moving to Japan, getting a job and living there for a significant period of time (at least a year). There are several reasons for this, but I would say "personal growth and the challenge of adapting to a foreign culture" are the official ones in my case.

I currently have an M.A. in Music from a fairly good university, and play the piano very, very well (I can play some of the most difficult pieces in the literature). Obviously, I also possess a B.A. in Music (magna cum laude). The style of music I play is Classical.

More information: I am white/American and speak English as my native tongue. My German is at an almost fluent level and my Japanese is a bit above a basic level (well it is hard to measure, but I definitely am not fluent in Japanese). If age is important to mention...I am under the age of 25.

Okay I gave alot of information about myself, but basically what I would like to do is get a job that pays in 3500-4000 yen per hour range (or more) and gives me access to a piano that I could practice on (in my spare time). I find a very large amount of material on teaching English in Japan, but even though I am interested in that, I consider teaching music to be a better option for me.

I do possess other skills as well, but I am afraid of sharing too much personal information publicly over the internet.

Is 3500-4000 yen too much to ask for someone in my position, given that I am a fresh graduate?

If I want to teach, would I be able to get work teaching music in Japan or would trying to get an English teaching job be a better idea?

How much do piano teachers in Japan make?

How should I prepare?

Thank you for helpful comments and advice in advance.
by Piano11553 (guest)  

coming to Japan 2009/9/9 11:59
I don't like to sound discouraging, but jobs as a music teacher for foreigners with basic Japanese would have to be close to non-existent, let alone ones paying 3,500-4,000 yen an hour.

Many Japanese people play the piano very well, and there is no shortage of piano teachers here. You would also actually have to be hired by someone to be able to get a working visa, and schools and universities are unlikely to hire a fresh graduate who doesn't speak fluent Japanese as a music teacher.

Yes, you would have a much greater chance of getting a job as an English teacher, because there is still considerable demand for native speakers to teach English (although not as much as there used to be), but finding a job that pays in that range when you have just stepped off the plane, or from outside Japan, is extremely unlikely.

I'm afraid you might have to set your sights quite a bit lower to start with. Come to Japan as an English teacher (pay about 250,000 yen per month on average), then start looking around at the piano teaching scene and/or other potentially better-paying English teaching jobs. You may be able to find jobs teaching piano to the children of expats, although it wouldn't be fulltime obviously.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Ah thanks 2009/9/9 12:26
Ah thanks.

That's about what I wanted to know.

by Piano11553 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread