Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Am I a good size for Japanese clothing? 2009/9/9 20:41
I'll be going to Japan in a few months time.

I'm a UK size 8 for tops, can squeeze in a size 6 sometimes. For pants, I am a UK size 10. I recently heard about an injection that can make a person slim down a little. Should I inject my thighs and hips so that they can be a bit smaller, thus fitting in Japanese clothing better? I am guessing I am fatter than maybe 80% of all Japanese women?
by Ally (guest)  

... 2009/9/10 11:58
Should I inject my thighs and hips so that they can be a bit smaller, thus fitting in Japanese clothing better?

No, please don't do that.

I wear UK size 10, I'm not particularly "big," though certainly not slim, and I do find good variety of clothing in Japan (I am Japanese, used to live in the UK for some years).
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/10 14:13
You are not fatter than 80 percent of Japanese women, as a UK size 10 you are not big by anyone's standards, and it is unlikely that there is any kind of injection which will effectively spot reduce. Fat can be sucked out (liposuction), or there is the healthy and natural (plus far safer and cheaper) option of healthy eating and exercise, but it doesn't really seem like you need any of those.

Why on earth would you want to go to extremes to fit into Japanese women's clothing? I am a UK size 10 who has lived in Japan for 11 years, and I don't feel any compulsion to change my body type so that I fit the clothing here (I do fit a lot of it, but am a little bigger in the thighs and butt than many Japanese women, so some of it doesn't sit well- that's just me. I'm not Japanese, so why should I worry about it?) I shop at Zara, Benetton, H&M and Gap for trousers, or buy them when I go overseas- no big deal.

Be happy with who you are, don't try to conform to some ridiculous and possibly dangerous "ideal".
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

size 2009/9/10 15:48
First of all, sorry if I did offend anyone as that wasn't my intention. I was just exaggerating when I said I'm fatter than 80% of Japanese women, 60% is probably a more realistic estimate.

To clear things up, I certainly don't think I'm fat. In my handbook for study abroad to Japan, it mentions how clothing sizes for those above UK size 10 and shoe sizes bigger than UK size 5 1/2 are limited. That prompted me to ask a fellow student who has been to Japan about average size in Japan. According to her, most Japanese women my age take a UK size 8, wannabe 6. Considering I'm a UK size 8 on top, I feel it's such a pity I'm not a UK size 8 on the bottom. I look like a UK size 8 overall, but my hips and thighs are keeping me from fitting size 8 trousers. That extra cellulite has been bothering me even before any plans to Japan. Losing that fat will not only be perfect for fitting Japanese clothing, but will also make me feel truly happy.

Should I inject my thighs and hips so that they can be a bit smaller, thus fitting in Japanese clothing better?
No, please don't do that.

I wear UK size 10, I'm not particularly "big," though certainly not slim, and I do find good variety of clothing in Japan (I am Japanese, used to live in the UK for some years).

I'm just considering injection, but not likely going to undergo that method as I don't feel it's worth the side effects.

That's good to know, thank you for informing me.

Why on earth would you want to go to extremes to fit into Japanese women's clothing? I am a UK size 10 who has lived in Japan for 11 years, and I don't feel any compulsion to change my body type so that I fit the clothing here (I do fit a lot of it, but am a little bigger in the thighs and butt than many Japanese women, so some of it doesn't sit well- that's just me. I'm not Japanese, so why should I worry about it?) I shop at Zara, Benetton, H&M and Gap for trousers, or buy them when I go overseas- no big deal.

I don't think I am going to extremes to fit Japanese women's clothing. Afterall I'm a UK size 8 on top, all I want is to be a UK size 8 on the bottom too. I feel like I'm almost there, yet it's a big challenge to lose a size on the bottom. I'm probably shorter than you; I'm just slightly over 160cm, so size 8 looks good for my height.

by Ally (guest) rate this post as useful

extremes 2009/9/10 17:03
I don't think I am going to extremes to fit Japanese women's clothing.

I recently heard about an injection that can make a person slim down a little. Should I inject my thighs and hips so that they can be a bit smaller, thus fitting in Japanese clothing better?

Most people, which probably includes your doctor, would consider it extreme to inject you legs with something in the hope that it would make you slimmer. The injections are much more likely to make you poorer than slimmer.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/10 17:12
I'm also a size 8 on top, size 10 on the bottom, and I'm happy as I am. There are plenty of people who would love to be my build, I consider myself lucky. Be happy as you are now- a clothing size should not be the key to a person's happiness, that can lead to all kinds of issues.

I think most people would consider slimming injections, if they exist, to be extreme. Why not try walking a few kms a day instead? That helps me keep my thighs toned, as well as some yoga.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread