Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Disneyland cutoff age? 2009/9/12 14:45
What is the cutoff age for kids admission price to Tokyo Disneyland? Is it same like in LA, age 11?

I went to LA Disneyland last month just after turning 12. I wore a pink Cinderella outfit head to toe and the ticket guy charged me kids price without even asking me how old I was. At 150cm and 35kg, will I pass for kids price to Tokyo Disneyland? I know Japanese are smaller so I might not pass? I plan on wearing that same pink Cinderella outfit again.
by lil girl (guest)  

... 2009/9/12 15:09
The tickets/passports come in three age brackets:
Adults (18 and over), junior & senior high school students (12 to 17), and small children (4 - 11).

As for whether you'll pass a small child - Maybe not :) If you are already 12, I would not lie :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks AK! 2009/9/12 15:32
I wouldn't lie too... but I always let ppl make assumptions if it works to my benefit. The brackets are much more customer friendly relative to LA. In LA, anything above 11 pays full price.

I would like to clarify with you: What grade/year in school is considered junior high in Japan? I am towards the end of my 7th year (out of 12 years) in school in Aussie. Strangely enough, year 7 is still considered primary school here. Then year 8 is the start of secondary school.

I still sense some ambiguity in the price brackets. What if someone is 11 but in junior high? or 12 but not yet in junior high? does age supercede year in school or vice versa?

Thanks!
by lil girl (guest) rate this post as useful

Additional questions 2009/9/12 15:47
My date of birth is 31 July 1997. I am in my 2nd semester of year/grade 7 in school.

Am I eligible for half or concession price when taking public transportation?

... 2009/9/12 15:55
Whoops, that was stupid of me not to explain the school grades - in Japan, counting from the first year in elementary school, 7th to 9th grades are junior high (middle) school, and 10th to 12th grades are senior high school.

If the admission staff wants to know, they *might* ask what school year you are in; for student discounts and things like that, school year seems to be the easiest guideline :)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/12 19:57
Are you a student in Japan?

That's the question.
Student discounts apply to student studying in Japan at eligible schools.

Student discounts on commuter lines, subways, metros etc, usually apply to monthly commuter passes, not single fare tickets.

Usually you have to produce a student identification card and/or letter/form from your school verifying status, address etc for them to issue the student commuter pass. In this case the school should have this information to provide to you.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/12 19:58
From your post I take it you are not studying in Japan and therefore do not qualify for student discounts.

You then pay full price for train tickets.

Kid rate doesn't mean student discount. 2009/9/13 06:38
: Are you a student in Japan?
: That's the question.
: From your post I take it you are not studying in Japan and therefore do not qualify for student discounts.
: You then pay full price for train tickets.

I have never heard of such a rule that a child not belonging to a designated school in Japan should pay as the same as an adult for any Japanese railroad ticket.

Sorry but ExpressTrain seems to be confusing criteria on a kid rate and criteria on student discounts.

To the best of my knowledge;
Japanese railroad operators including JR companies have a kid rate for those who are very young in age:
an 8-year old child is to pay the half as an adult regarding railroad fares
because of his/her small age, not because he/she is an elementary school pupil.

JR student discounts are given for school commutation tickets (valid for one / three / six months) and long-distance fare tickets. That's another thing.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Double standard as to age categories 2009/9/13 07:35
: will I pass for kids price to Tokyo Disneyland?
: My date of birth is 31 July 1997.
: Am I eligible for half or concession price when taking public transportation?

JR companies and the operator of Tokyo Disney parks are showing us two sets of standards as to age categories.

(a) Explanations in English (except for one regarding Tokyo Disney Park Annual Passports) say that whether the person is 11 or 12 makes difference.

According to (a), regarding JR fares and charges you fall under "Adult," and regarding a Tokyo Disney Park 1-Day / Multi-Day / Night Passport you fall under "Junior."
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/types.html
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdr/english/plan/ticket/index.html

(b) Explanations in Japanese say that a person of 12 who has not yet finished elementary school falls under the same age category as persons of 11.

Children who were born on a day from 2 April 1997 through 1 April 1998 are to finish Japanese elementary school in March 2010;
so, judging from (b), I think you may well be categorized the same as a 11-year-old child regarding JR fares and charges and a Tokyo Disney Park 1-Day / Multi-Day / Night Passport.

//

Thanks all! 2009/9/13 10:55
All the information is very helpful. There is definitely a lot of grey area.

Thanks 4 sharing the cutoff birth dates for school levels omotenashi. From what you have posted, it means kids need to have turned 6 years old on the first day of grade 1? The cutoff in Japan is much older than where I live. In my country, more than half (including me) have not turned 6 on the first day of grade 1.

. 2009/9/13 12:05
I have never heard of such a rule that a child not belonging to a designated school in Japan should pay as the same as an adult for any Japanese railroad ticket.

Sorry but ExpressTrain seems to be confusing criteria on a kid rate and criteria on student discounts.

I was simply address in the student portion. Never once did I mention child fare or kid fare.

I'm merely talking about being a student in Japan in regards to getting a half priced student ticket.

Am I eligible for half or concession price when taking public transportation?

I never said child in a designated school, I said student at a designated school in Japan, as not all students can get student discounts depending on what type of school you go to and your status. In fact never once did i say the world CHILD or KID.

Now if we were to talk about that, and with age, even though she might be a non elementary school student, the JR rules say HAVE NOT finsished elementary school, but if she has already finished elementary school in her home country, then technically she's already finished elementary school.

If we're now talking about student fares:

Are you a student? Do you have a child that is a foreign student? When was the last time you signed up for a student commuter pass? Tried signing up for a commuter pass with a student ID from another country?

Not all "students" it doesn't matter what age can get student discounts on rail fares in Japan. Usually it applies to students studying in Japan at designated schools, by designated schools I mean a school IN Japan, and that the government and railways have agreements with. For example a language school student in Tokyo can only get discounts on TOEI lines, no other railways will give language students discounts. A foreign student from another country not studying in Japan gets zero discounts, don't believe, then just head over to the nearest metro office with a student ID from England and see what happens.

Japanese school age 2009/9/13 18:16
: it means kids need to have turned 6 years old on the first day of grade 1?

Yes; to be precise, a child who has legally attained 6, in other words finished 6 full years from the birth-date, is to enter an elementary school in the following academic year (April - March).
(Under laws of Japan, it is on the day before the birthday when a person legally attains a full age N, because he/she finishes N full years when the day ends; if it were on the birthday, those who were born on 29 February could not legally attain a full age every year.)

//

Student discount is not the main topic. 2009/9/13 18:21
ExpressTrain:

No one has asked in this thread whether a person can get a student discount for train tickets.
The main topic is whether the original poster is categorized differently from an adult because of age.
And, if you mean by "a half priced ticket" a thing like
an 8-year-old elementary school pupil is to pay 80 yen, while an adult is to pay 160 yen, as the fare on Tokyo - Yoyogi
then that has nothing to do with student discounts.

Your misunderstanding is made because you think as if a pupil status were the root factor in categorizing a person under "Child".
The root factor is an age. Because a person is at a particular age, he/she is an elementary school pupil.
And, JR companies are not mentioning a passenger's home country as to age categories.

Before your posts' appearing in this thread, I have already known about the issue that some students do not get student discount for school commuter passes, depending on schools and on railroad operators.
I have read your posts, checked JR-East regulations on JR-East website, then replied that the issue is another thing than categorizing passengers for different prices of JR normal fares and charges.

//

reply to this thread