Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

No COE for Spouse Visa 2009/9/15 15:21
Please let me know if I can still be given a
Spouse Visa even without Certificate of Eligibility. I am legally married to a Japanese male national in the Philippines last February 2006, however, he was only able to register our marriage in Japan but he failed to secure my Certificate of Eligibility.As of this date and time, I have no idea where he is now and of his whereabouts. I have tried to reach him by pone by to no avail.I have been told by a Japanese friend that my husband is now in jail in Japan but I have no idea where in Japan. Now my question is, can I still be given a Spouse Visa even without COE?
Thanks for your responses in advance.
by jezzy888  

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know 2009/9/15 19:29
Your earlier question was this one I believe:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+66657

One way people from some countries could do is to come to Japan on a visitor visa first (but to come to Japan even for a short term, Philippine nationals do need to apply for a visitor visa in advance, with some help from a ''guarantor'' in Japan who invites you to come) and then apply for a change of status to Spouse of Japanese national visa (but without your husband's help you will not be able to apply for the change, I believe). I'm sorry to say but your chances don't look good. Spouse visa is given so that couples can stay together, so it would be best to find the whereabout of your husband first.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/15 20:00
I am legally married to a Japanese male national in the Philippines last February 2006, however, he was only able to register our marriage in Japan but he failed to secure my Certificate of Eligibility.

Clarify this statement. Did he or did he not register his marriage in Japan? If he did and you can get a copy of his koseki, then you have a decent chance of getting a spouse visa. Of course, you have to know where his koseki is located. You don't need a COE to get a visa; it just expedites the process.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/15 21:54
Whoops, sorry. I was under the impression that he did register it, but that he cannot be contacted now - meaning, it would be difficult to obtain the "koseki" with you on it. And you would need some more help from your husband anyway, such as signing a statement saying that he will be responsible for your living expenses/travel expenses if leaving Japan, etc.

Immigration 2009/9/15 22:08
I think immigration would be very suspicious of someone applying for a spouse visa but cannot live with their spouse?
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/10/19 16:24
Thank you for your helpful answers to my query but I have some more questions,
I have my Koseki touhon in possession but it was expired. Now my question is, can I still use my Koseki touhon as evidence of our marriage when applying for a spouse visa? I have my guarantor ( Japanese national) who is willing to guarantee my stay in Japan, and I also have a supporter in the Philippines to support my financial needs while in Japan.Is it enough to convince the immigration to issue a spouse visa?
Thank you for your help.
by jezzy888 rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/19 16:35
Again I am no lawyer here, but when it comes to "koseki touhon," that's the document that proves your marriage and that it is continuing; so if it is too old, Immigration is very likely to ask you to get a new one NOW, so that they can see that you are still married NOW.

I don't know how old the "koseki touhon" you have is, but the requirement is for one that has been issued within the past three months before you apply.

Chances not good 2009/10/19 21:58
Even if you have a guarantor, Immigration will probably be wanting to know why your husband is not your guarantor as he would be the obvious first choice.

I am afraid that even if you do manage to get all the documents together (very difficult under those circumstances), it will be even more difficult for you to hide the fact that you do not know where your husband is. There is an 8-page questionnaire for the Japanese spouse to fill out as part of the application, and if it is filled out by anyone but your husband you are basically committing immigration fraud.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread