Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jobs that do not require degree 2009/9/24 14:34
Does anybody know of any jobs in Nagoya that foreigners can get without a college degree??

I will be moving to Japan to live with my husband soon and will need to get a job, but I do not have a college degree and I do not speak fluent Japanese yet.

does anybody have any suggestions?? I have seen one job looking for waitresses that need english speaking ability but there is no guarantee that job will be available again when I move.

Just looking for other options besides one sports bar.

thanks.
by Sarah Fukui  

Bar 2009/9/24 14:59
I take it you saw the job for Shooters?
Even if the job is gone by the time you move there, the staff does rotate a fair bit so new jobs come and go.
There wouldn't be much in Nagoya at all for someone without a degree and sufficient Japanese skills at this particular moment.
I assume your Husband will be working? So at least you can fall back on something while looking for work.
I would probably suggest teaching English but there are quite a few teachers out of work in Nagoya as evident by notices around the place.

My suggestion would be to study Japanese if you can. Nagoya is a good place for this. If you can bring up your Japanese to a fluent level you can start looking at more serious career options.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

kevin 2009/9/24 15:07
Yes i am in fact talking about shooters.

He does have a job but expenses in Japan.. are well.. expensive.

I will be learning Japanese while I am there so I hope I can get a better working opportunity.

English teaching jobs always seem to need college degree's though so I didn't know if there was room anywhere in Japan for folks like me without that college education.
by Sarah Fukui rate this post as useful

degree 2009/9/24 15:47
English teaching jobs usually require a degree because that is necessary to fulfill immigration requirements for a work visa. I'm assuming that you will be in Japan on a dependent visa? In that case you would be able to work at a teaching job without the degree, but would need to apply for permission to work with your local immigration office beforehand. The procedure is outlined here:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/09.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Teaching 2009/9/24 16:09
Good point yllwsmrf, I didn't even consider the visa situation.

English teaching jobs always seem to need college degree's

Mostly yes, more so now I guess. Wasn't always the case though. You can still find the odd one from a city website that doesn't require one. It's going to be highly desirable though when theres a large market of teachers to pick from.
You might find some that only require some experience in teaching like http://iwate-ia.or.jp/?l=en&p=1-2-info_others&no=69 for example.

by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/9/25 00:41
thank you both, you have both been pretty helpful! thanks for these links i'll look into them.

Certainly you are capable 2009/9/25 16:10
Please list your work experience. Readers of your message will better understand and can recommend kind of work available from your prior job experience. Not all job require college degree but job knowledge, skill, and experience are more important. In our company we want employees with master or higher, but our HR recruiter prefer non college applicant for positions college graduate deem "too good" but will take since Japan job market is highly competitive.
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Retail 2009/9/26 10:18
Well I have worked retail since i was 17, just little shops and stores, and i worked doing some telephone work for a short time selling apartments.

thank you 2009/9/26 11:20
thank you very much! I will look into this as well, very helpful!

reply to this thread