Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Finding Work once in Japan-Gifu 2009/9/25 14:52
Hello all of you who are already in Japan and have the down low....

I am moving From Canada to Japan this November 4th to be with my partner, who is a Japanese national. I am hoping to find some work teaching English in Mino Kamo, Gifu (about an hour from Nagoya). I have over three years of ESL instructing experience and TESOL diploma so am quite qualified so think that I should be able to get a job if I can find one, which leads me to my questions:

1. How difficult will it be to find a job just landing in Japan looking for one? I have been trying to apply from Canada but have found that a lot of schools don't post jobs independently, but rather use recruiting agencies. So I am also trying to apply for work through an agency but fear they may just try and dictate my working location, in which case I would decline. So do you think I will be hunting a long time to find something once I arrive?

2. I am coming with a working holiday visa, but am very happy to get a sponsored visa as well, but I get the feeling that a lot of schools don't like to hire teachers with just a WHV. Have you found that to be the case?

3. Any additional tips or advice on job hunting pre and post departure? It would be ideal to set something up before I land, but if am not able to would like to be ''on the ground running'' once I arrive in hopes of finding something quickly.

Any information or advice you can give me on this would be SOOO greatly appreciated!

Thank-you!
by kbloom99  

Gifu 2009/9/25 15:28
(1)
It's quite likely you will find yourself job hunting for awhile, especially given the region you are looking for work. Note that your TESOL diploma is not really worth anything in Japan though it may help with some jobs only looking for experience. Generally if one is moving country they have a backup plan as well, so make sure you have considered the possibilities of what might happen if it does take you months to find a job.

(2)
Most job's I've seen advertised in your area have been 7 months to 1 year contracts. That would mean they would not even waste their time looking at an applicant on a WHV. Why not get a spouse visa? It would be a bit strange moving in with your partner but only on a WHV.

(3)
I guess you are specifically looking for work as a English teacher? I myself can't really offer much advise with this as it's not the ideal time to be looking for such work. Maybe someone else might have some useful advise for you.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

visa 2009/9/25 15:48
Why not get a spouse visa? It would be a bit strange moving in with your partner but only on a WHV.

Unless you aren't married, in which case you would eventually need a work visa to stay in the country long term (unless you get married of course). What is your education level? Your 3 years teaching experience may qualify you for a work visa, then again it may not, so if you have a bachelor's degree then that's one less hurdle to worry about.

Also in regard to your second question, a WHV is a whole lot more valuable than no visa at all, but less so than a spouse or work visa that you already have. If you currently have no work visa when applying for jobs, then getting you a proper visa is a serious hurdle that will turn off many potential employers. Also, to obtain a work visa this short before your departure is difficult as it can take anywhere from 1-3 months to process the application.

One more thing to think about is that there was some talk on the forum of not being able to change a WHV to a work visa within Japan. So look into that. It may require a trip home to obtain the work visa, although I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone with experience can comment.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/25 16:35
Thanks yllwsmrf, I seem to have a habit of not considering every possibility when answering someone here :)
When someone says partner I assumed they would be married, especially given a 'move' is mentioned which is quite serious. My mistake.

I would also like to add it's a bad waste of a WHV for this purpose. The Visa is not designed for you to stay in one place the whole time, bear that in mind when you are applying for jobs as companies are certainly well aware of it.

One more thing to think about is that there was some talk on the forum of not being able to change a WHV to a work visa within Japan. So look into that. It may require a trip home to obtain the work visa, although I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone with experience can comment.
I think that was me who brought that up and from memory I was wrong, the only restriction was that you could not use it as a bridge to apply for a Student visa. In that case you would have to leave the country.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

what if? 2009/9/26 00:04
Thank-you for your responses.

Indeed I would happy to get a school sponsored visa but it seems that my departure date may not align with recruiting agencies here in Canada. I would, however, be happy to get the WHV switched over to a work visa, if I can find a position in Japan. I guess I'll have to look into this.

Although my partner(not husband yet)'s family lives in the countryside I would be prepared to commute to Nagoya or neighbouring communities. In this consideration, do you think do you think it will be difficult to find something now?

BTW, I do hold a Bachelor's degree.

Thank-you!

-Karla

by kbloom99 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread