Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Video Rental subtitles kanji 2009/9/25 19:26
Could someone help me to understand the kanji that tells if, what and what kind of subtitles DVDs in video rental shops have.

Basically, I want to rent (all foreign/Western):

1. English audio - Japanese subs
2. English audio - Eng + Japanese subs
3. Eng/Japanese audio (is it possible?) - Eng/Japanese subs

Thanks
by Anna (guest)  

. 2009/9/26 11:46
Perhaps it is correct.
but,japanese movie don't have english sub.

Check DVD package icon
audio
英語 (english)
日本語 (japanese)
sub
日本語字幕(japanese sub)
英語字幕(english sub)
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

subs 2009/9/26 12:21
Also, I just checked a bunch of my Japanese dvds and none of them allow running both english and japanese subtitles at the same time. It may not apply to all titles, but be aware its definitely not possible on many titles.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

More clear 2009/9/26 14:15
Thanks for the help so far.

I should have been more clear. What I meant was, for example, 'You've Got Mail' DVD. Options: English/Japanese audio (bilingual function, and English/Japanese subtitles.

If I'm reading Amazon.jp correctly
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0016Y9E88/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p74_i1...

it does seem to offer such options.
by Anna (guest) rate this post as useful

Western Movies 2009/9/26 14:51
Most Western movies I have rented have had English audio and Japanese subtitles. A lot of films even have Japanese audio dubs.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

DVDs 2009/9/28 08:10
I have never seen a DVD here which allows you to have both Japanese and English subtitles at the same time. Most will have the option of audio in either English or Japanese, and subtitles in English or Japanese.

Contrary to what "Guest" above says, Japanese movies do sometimes come with English subtitles.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/28 09:32
With DVDs, when you watch it you make your settings for your viewing, and you will choose one language for audio (among English, Japanese, etc.), and you choose one (it may be the same as the audio) language for the subtitle.

Some English language learners want to get English audio AND English subtitles when they watch western movies made in English, so that combination is also possible. But you cannot get "bilingual" setting for one viewing.

For "You've got mail," they list English, French, and Japanese for "language" - I suppose theyy mean audio, and English, Japanese, French, and Korean for "subtitles," so you get to choose one from these selections when you watch.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/28 10:09
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression that, at least as far as rentals are concerned, DVD/video covers don't mention every option you have.

For example, a certain piece of DVD might give you subtitle options in English, Japanese, Chinese and Thai, as well as audio versions in all of those languages, but you won't notice it until you insert the disc into your player and select the subtitle section. On the hard cover, it only says something like 日本語字幕付き(comes with Japanese subtitles).

Basically however, all rental movie DVDs come with at least the original audio and Japanese subtitles. For example, in the Harry Potter series DVDs, you always have the option to hear the characters speak in English while watching the footage with Japanese subtitles. I recently rented a DVD movie called "Hollywoodland" and I was able to make the characters speak in either English, Japanese or Thai, and I was also able to choose subtitles in those languages. But of course, for example, I couldn't show Japanese subtitles and English subtiles at the same time.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

subtitles 2009/9/28 10:51
I should have been more clear. What I meant was, for example, 'You've Got Mail' DVD. Options: English/Japanese audio (bilingual function, and English/Japanese subtitles.

If I'm reading Amazon.jp correctly
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0016Y9E88/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p74_i1...

it does seem to offer such options.

No that is an incorrect interpretation. The "/" is read as "or" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//#In_English_text), so this means that either Japanese or English audio can play along with either Japanese or English subtitles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression that, at least as far as rentals are concerned, DVD/video covers don't mention every option you have.

Being that my Japanese isn't what it should be, I always check the language options before renting and it has been my experience that the covers always list the language options on the back. Then again I haven't had any chances to rent any movies in Thai. Maybe they have different standards for what they include on the cover.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread