Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Class introductions 2009/9/26 03:59
Hello. I'm taking a first year Japanese course at university. We are about 3 weeks into the course now and our professor would like us to introduce each of ourselves to the class in Japanese. There is a paragraph in our textbook that we can use for reference that reads:
''Hajimemashite. [My name] desu. [My age] desu. ABC daigaku no gakusei desu. [What year I'm in] desu. Doozo yoroshiku.''

However, I have already graduated from university quite some time ago (I'm about 20 years older than the rest of the students). I'm taking this course out of an interest to learn Japanese so I'm not really a university student. So I was wondering if someone could help me change the introduction just a little bit. I'd like to be able to say:
''I have already graduated from ABC university. I traveled to Japan last year. I am studying Japanese for personal interest.''

Thanks for any help!
by older student (guest)  

I respect you 2009/9/26 13:05
私は、ABC大学の卒業生です。
(わたしは、ABCだいがくのそつぎょうせいです。)
watashi wa ABC-Daigaku no sotsugyousei desu.

私は昨年、日本に旅をしました。
(わたしはさくねん、にほんにたびをしました。)
watashi wa sakunen,nihon ni tabi wo shimashita.

私は、個人的興味で日本語を勉強しています。
(わたしは、こじんてききょうみでにほんごをべんきょうしています。)
watashi wa kojinteki kyoumi de nihongo wo benkyou shiteimasu.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/26 13:11
Considering that everyone else would also be only three weeks into the course, I will want to keep it simple so that everyone gets it (of course your instructor can explain afterwards, though). So for fun, I would say, after the name/age:

- ABC daigaku no gakusei dewa arimasen (I am not a student of ABC university) Everyone is likely to be puzzled...
- Sotsugyousei desu. (I am an alumni/graduate) Your instructor can explain the word to the rest of the class.
- Kyonen Nihon e ikimashita (I went to Japan last year.)
- Nihon ni kyoumi ga arimasu. Dakara Nihongo wo benkyo shite imasu. (I am interested in Japan. So I am studying Japanese.)
- Douzo yoroshiku.
by AK rate this post as useful

If i say.... 2009/9/26 17:00
''I have already graduated from ABC university."
watashi wa sudeni ABC daigaku wo sotsugyou shiteimasu.

" I traveled to Japan last year."
watashi wa kyonen nihon he ryokou ni ikimashita.

"I am studying Japanese for personal interest."
ima wa watashi wa shumi de nihonngo wo benkyo shiteimasu.
by native (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you 2009/9/27 01:03
Thank you everyone for your help!
by older student (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread