Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Japanese Kid at School 2009/9/26 10:15
There is a new boy at my High Schoolwho just moved here from Japan and I would really like to introduce myself and get to know him. The only problem is that I heard he barely speaks a word of English. I was thinking of just saying "hi" and "my name is..." in Japanese to him, but I don't know much else. Any tips on what to say?
And how can I say "I only speak a little bit of Japanese?"
by SapphireChaos  

Write your 2009/9/26 13:01
message on a paper and present it to him. He can read it.

by EichoKago rate this post as useful

I see... 2009/9/26 17:44
I totally understand his feeling!!
well...I guess that He also want to make a native speaker friend. but His English is not good enough to make a conversation in English now, right?
He also wants to learn English for sure!!
So, You may speak English to him super slowly and use the easy words. and write the words what he can't understand, on the paper. He seems to have dictionary always. so, show to him the word by it.

How does it sound? You're going to be tired?...But please give up though!!
Good Luck!!
by Ottsu!! (guest) rate this post as useful

Sorry... 2009/9/26 17:55
OMG!!I made mistake!
I'd like to say" Please don't give up!"
Apologize!!
by Ottsu!! (guest) rate this post as useful

Hajimemashite 2009/9/27 06:52
Just say, "Hajimemashite. (Your name) desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu." Then take it from there. It'll be a great cultural exchange experience. Good luck!
by Echigo (guest) rate this post as useful

New Japanese Kid 2009/9/28 14:49
You haven't a hope of saying those Japanese greetings nicely if you haven't been learning Japanese. Just say very slowly: 'Hi! I'm .....' pointing to yourself. Use non-verbal language with your chat and smiles and dictionaries. A sense of humour and patience helps. I guess you don't just want to keep him to yourself include him in your group activities and it won't matter if he can't always say a lot in the beginning. Just be a friend.
by SuzyP rate this post as useful

reply to this thread