Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Steps to going to Japan? 2009/9/27 04:03
I really want to become a foreign exchange student in Japan but can anyone tell me the steps that I need to go through? I am 14 years old so I'm pretty sure that I'm not old enough yet but that doesn't matter.
by Renea Chan (guest)  

Excerpts from another 2009/9/27 09:13
I recommend that you go for a year -- you get the full benefit of culture and language immersion that way.

Being an exchange student is expensive. Rotary is the cheapest, but most competitive.

The first step is to find an organization. A list of all those certified to operate in the U.S. can be found at www.csiet.org. Don't use one not on the list. However, you should also talk to your high school counselor for a recommendation. An organization is only as good as its local representatives.

You also need to talk to your counselor about your credits. Taking your junior year is best, because you can catch a missed credit the next year if necessary, have the fun of your senior year and graduate with your class. Your school should give you credit for much of your exchange year -- especially foreign language, social studies, math and possibly English and independent study. Make sure you get the commitment in writing!

It is also OK to go as a senior, but you may miss your graduation ceremony ... some do! However, you will still graduate from high school!

There is TONS more to know, but the easy way is for me to point you to
http://www.exchangestudentworld.com/
That's a site written by exchange students for exchange students and covers everything from deciding to go to your return home. One of my former students runs it and I'm an editor.
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Good luck! 2009/9/28 02:47
Hey! Good luck~! I'm also 14 years old! I really want to study abroad in Japan too, for a year during high school, but my parents wont let :(

I agree with the poster above, use certified programs!
But it may be hard to go in Junior year, because (for me at least), that's the year of the SATs and supposedly the most important year to a college.

Good luck and I hope you can go!
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Just a though 2009/9/28 11:08
Kira,

My youngest daughter went to Japan during her 2nd years at Stanford. She became a friend with a exchange student and went to live with (she was 19) her family.

I understand many parents are afraid of sending their child to a foreign country. Perhaps your parents could participate in a exchange program as a ''host?''

by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Oh no...... 2009/10/6 10:25
Ijust found out that my school doesn't offer credits for being an exchange student so if I go for a year then I would need to come back and make up the year! What do I do??
by Renea Chan (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks and some help :) 2009/10/6 10:42
Thanks EichoKago!!! It'd be really cool to host a kid... there's an exchange student at my school from Germany right now. (Random fact, sorry) xD

Renea Chan, why don't you go study abroad for a summer? LanguBridge has a 7 week program. NOT saying it is good, because I've never been on it. It's the one I do want to go on though. (haha sorry for the mixed message. I don't wanna recommend something I haven't been on, but I also don't want to sound negative either.)

Well... 2009/10/6 10:54
I really wanted to be able to go to a school just like a normal person would out there.I wanted to expirence what it would be like and to be able to participate in school activities that they don't really do here in America.If I can't do that then I want to at least go for as long as I can sometime during the summer but I just don't think that I would have as much fun since I won't be able to expirence full Japanese life as a high schooler..

visas 2009/10/6 14:01
Unfortunately visa issues mean that people can't just move to Japan and go to school here- for high school age it needs to be under an exchange program, or with your parents.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

? 2009/10/7 05:31
You can't be an exchange student during the summer?

well... 2009/10/7 06:54
You can study abroad with a program like LanguBridge for a few weeks to almost 2 months.

You're right, it's not as good as going to school with Japanese high schoolers. But it's good because they have a homestay option, you learn Japanese language and culture, and meet kids from around the world. Plus, you'll be in Japan in Tokyo.

Better (to me) then missing school and not getting any credit.

LanguBridge 2009/10/7 09:11
LanguBridge is just a middle party. You can save money by going direct to the Kudan Institute of Japanese Language and Culture which is where the study actually takes place.

It seems to have somewhat of a bad rep around the internet though. Of course I can't comment as I have not been :)
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

exchange students 2009/10/7 10:29
Renea Chan,

You can't be an exchange student during the summer?

If you wish to attend a Japanese high school then you usually can't do it over the summer as they schools are on summer break just like you. Most exchange programs are for an entire year, typically beginning at the end of summer break, or in the beginning of the new school year in April. If you really want to get the Japanese high school experience then I'd recommend coming for a year, and just making up the credits when you return. Graduating high school one year later than your friends is not a big deal in the long run, and probably well worth the experiences you'll have abroad.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Yeah.. 2009/10/8 10:27
graduating with my friends probably isn't a big deal but I don't like the fact that I would be graduating with people I don't know. even though it won't be as great, i probably would try to go in the summer instead. it just saddens me.
do any schools give credits to students who go abroad?

study abroad 2009/10/9 10:37
graduating with my friends probably isn't a big deal but I don't like the fact that I would be graduating with people I don't know.

When returning from Japan, you will have to complete at least one more year of HS in the US. By the end of that time not only will you know the people you will be graduating with, but you will have made friends with many of them. Essentially you will be graduating with both people you know and with friends also.

even though it won't be as great, i probably would try to go in the summer instead. it just saddens me.

A summer program or a language school will not be the same experience as attending high school for a year. But if graduating "on time" is important to you then consider studying abroad in college. There will likely be programs where you can study in Japan and transfer your credits.

do any schools give credits to students who go abroad?

That's totally dependent on the school. But wouldn't changing schools be the same or more drastic than doing an extra year at your current school? It would be going to school with 100% new people vs essentially 15% new people.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

kEEP yOUR..... 2009/10/9 12:48
Renea & Kira,

How about letting me tell you my story about the student exchange having so enriched my life and career?

--If I hadn't been privileged to study in Japan I wouldn't have a open mind today about other cultures and people, nor will I have the discipline and patient to solve the challenging issues I face everyday in life, nor will I give my free time to students from Japan that are struggling to speak and write a report good as an American university students, nor will I be a volunteer to our Japanese senior citizens needing a simple companionship from anyone, nor will I give my precious time to a little kindergarten children at my Buddhist Church that are so inquisitive and demanding at same time? I am who I am because Japan and my parents gave me a invaluable knowledge and allowed me to be who I am -

Although I participated in 3 exchange I should tell you girls how it was my 2nd time around. I was at your age, 16 (SAT was given in the freshman and junior years in high school). When I inquired with my parents about studying in Japan my dad agreed, REWARD, based on my SAT results. So, I took on extra classes and crammed throughout the nights, to keep up my grades and be prepared for the SAT. For me that was nothing since I wasn't into television or dating boy or messing with computer. And I got a fantastic scores on the SAT (790 & 780), and my academic counselor fully endorsed my plan for my 2nd trip to Japan. Why. My GPA was super and SAT was phenomenal. Furthermore, a high school diploma isn't a prerequisite to getting into a college. Do I have a high school diploma? NO! I have degrees that open lot more doors. B.S./M.P.A./M.B.A.

So, girls, be studious and keep you dream and hope ALIVE.

by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

thanks so much! 2009/10/10 04:01
stanfordgal,

Thank you so much for your valuable information! It means a lot to me. Great job on your SAT scores!

Just saying, for some colleges, they require a "12 year education" or of "similar results" or something like that.

I plan to attend Waseda University when I become college aged. I want to be part of the School of Humanities (Theatre and Film Arts) and School of Culture, Media, and Society (Creative Writing). I want to become an actress in Japan (and journalist). I know to attend Waseda, I need a really high GPA and SAT, which I currently have and am studying for (started summer before 9th grade).

I was wondering, are you in college now or have a job?

Thank you so much, again!
Kira

Working 2009/10/10 07:43
Kira,

I am an Assistant Director of Administration at the Stanford School of Medicine, Department of Immunology & Microbiology, Palo Alto, Calif.

Thank you, good luck, and study-study-study-go-go Waseda (LOL).

If you need someone to consult, you can email me- my name is Mayumi stanfordbiomedical@gmail.com

P.S. I have a University email address, but that can't be used for a personal email, sorry.

thanks, and... 2009/10/13 09:45
thank you for all of your replys! i was thinking that i really want to go even though i would have to make up a year. so is this a good choice? would it be better to wait until im a senior or in college like yllw smrf said? i really want the japanese high school expirence no matter what,but if waiting would be better then i can do that. my friend told me that i should just transfer to a school that gives credits for students going abroad before i go to japan but is that even possible? not that i would do it because it sounds like a big hassel to go to a school for only a few days.also, would i be able to take extra classes like in summer school so that if i go, i wouldn't have to make up as many classes when i get back?

Not so simple is it? 2009/10/13 11:01
Renea,

I am sure you have had to "compromise" and "sacrifice" before? Now ask yourself - go to Japan and experience it, or to graduate with my peers.

How about thinking like this - "I will have many more years to get to Japan, but only one time to share that glorious moments to graduate with my best friends and peers..."

reply to this thread