Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best major to get a bachelors in? 2009/9/28 09:25
I searched the forum and only found questions on whether you actually need a bachelors or not to teach English in Japan. My question isn't that. My question is what do you think the best major is to get a bachelors degree to teach English in Japan?

I've read on numerous websites that to get into programs like JET, GEOS, AEON, etc you need a bachelors degree, but it doesn't specify what in.

I am currently majoring in criminal justice, but was told if I plan to teach English in Japan I should major in some thing like education/teaching, business, or engineering.

What are your thoughts?
by Danielle Rae Morin  

Major 2009/9/28 13:38
You should major in whatever your long term career goals would be. Don't change it just to teach English, that's not much of a career.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Reply to guest. 2009/9/28 14:17
Well my goal is to travel to different countries teaching English. I'm only majoring in criminal justice at the wishes of my parents, they'd like me to get involved in the law enforcement. At first I was interested in this, but now I'd like to pursue my real dream of teaching English in Japan and possibly other countries later on. I'm just wondering what exactly I need to get a bachelors in to be qualified to teach overseas.
by Danielle Rae Morin rate this post as useful

japan 2009/9/28 14:28
I'm just wondering what exactly I need to get a bachelors in to be qualified to teach overseas.

Speaking of Japan only, the bachelor's is an immigration requirement to qualify for a work visa. It can be in any major, however degrees in education or english could be an advantage especially for the better jobs, such as salaried positions at international schools, which are on a different level than the typical english conversation school.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Reply to yllwsmrf. 2009/9/28 14:35
Thank you! :) That's what I had figured, but just wanted to make sure.
by Danielle Rae Morin rate this post as useful

TESL 2009/10/13 07:47
I think some schools offer courses in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). You might want to investigate this.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread