Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

''peacefull place in mind''? 2009/9/29 09:52
I remember hearing about Kaya (a baby name) means peacefull place in mind.. But when i search it on some translators or dictionarys they say it means mischantus reed or something.. So what does peacefull place in mind means (or something meaning similar to that like the place you dream or imagine peacefull) and what is the kanji for that?

Thanks for the answers!
by umutto (guest)  

. 2009/9/29 20:32
First of all, I've never heard of a person with named "Kaya" as a first name, but then, any name is possible.

As a native Japanese speaker, there are a couple of meanings that come to my mind when I hear the word "kaya", but according to my dictionary there are 6 Japanese nouns that is pronounced "kaya". I don't know what "mischantus reed" is, but the word "kaya" does represent a couple of plants.

As for "peacefull place in mind" I can give you a guess. "Kaya" can mean "mosquito net" which is a net you use to put over your beddings when you go to sleep at night, in order to avoid mosquitos from biting you. This word is often used metaphorically to represent a sort of a shelter or sanctuary, so perhaps that's where your question came from.

Hope it helps.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

my guess 2009/10/1 19:16
The most common kanji used for the name Kaya, usually a female name, is ‰¾–ë. ‰¾–ë refers to 1) allied small countries in the South Korea in the 3rd-6th century, 2) Gaya, the city in Bihar, India, used as a phonetic equivalent.

But I guess Kaya used for person's name in Japan usually comes from •§‘ɉ¾–ë, Buddh Gaya, the Buddhist holy place in Bihar, India where Buddha attained enlightenment. Thus the parents of the baby possibly thought Kaya represents a peaceful place in mind.

by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread