Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translation 2009/9/29 22:13
This is a sentence for japanese people (preferably) to translate...

It is a sentence from a person (A) who was in a hidden relationship with two others persons (B and C) at the same time. The betrayal was found out by one of them (B). I believe (A) wrote this sentence regarding his/her lack of honestity in not informing (B) and (C) about the double relationship(??) Something like lack of fairplay(??)

私(A)は自分なりにBさんにもCさんにも愛情を注いできたつもりだったけど、潔さが足りなかった。

Besides the translation, if some more details about the meaning of isagiyosa (潔さ) in this sentence could be provided it would be appreciated.

Thank you very much
by well (guest)  

... 2009/9/30 11:09
My take for this sentence - it's not about "honesty," but having a clear resolve about it, i'd say. I mean, there is no sense in being honest and telling the two persons about the two-timing thing :)

私(A)は自分なりにBさんにもCさんにも愛情を注いできたつもりだったけど、潔さが足りなかった。

"I have been pouring affection to both B and C to the extent I can, or so I thought, but I lacked in determination/confidence."

OK, this word "detemination" or "confidence" or "clear resolve" may not be the best... let me explain what (I think) it is.

It sounds like it's saying that A believes that he has been trying to love both B and C (equally), so it should have been OK that way, but (seeing that the relationships have been found out) he lacked a certain degree of resolve in maintaining two relationships AND saying "this is the way it's going to be!" to himself.

When he lacks in confidence/resolve in keeping two going on at the same time, the sense of guilt, the sense that he is doing something bad, shows in his demeanor, and maybe that's what B noticed. If he was going to go with two, then he'd better be dead sure about what he's doing.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread