Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Place in Tokyo to buy digital camera 2009/10/3 15:39
I would like to know the place where i could get a bargain/good price for digital camera.

Does buying at the airport duty free make sense?

by Jeannie (guest)  

Akihabara 2009/10/3 18:20
Try Akihabara and comparison shop.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Duty Free 2009/10/3 18:58
If you're in Japan only for a short stay, there's no point to shop at the duty free at the airport, as you can have taxes deducted anywhere. If you buy a digital camera anywhere in Tokyo ( shops are all over, especially near the large stations) you don't have to pay the taxes if you can show your passport. The only condition is to spend at least 10'001 JPY in the same shop, which would be the case for a camera!
If you go to one of the big chains (Bic Camera, Yodobashi, etc) they know how to handle it!
by Kali (guest) rate this post as useful

Akihabara and Yodobashi 2009/10/4 03:37
As said before Bic is a good place.
I would go to Akihabara as it is a tourist attraction in itself to see (including the akihabara maids?). And the nice thing is there is also a Yodobashi.
Keep in mind that there are also some showrooms where large cameramanufacturers show their newest products (Sony building in Ginza and Canon in Shinagawa). As far as i know you can not buy cameras in these showrooms.
by J vdBerg (guest) rate this post as useful

prices 2009/10/5 09:46
I've looked at the prices at Narita Airport quite a few times, and they are almost always more expensive than you'll pay at Bic or Yodobashi, even if it's tax free!!!

The cheapest places to buy in Tokyo are generally the small shops listed in Kakaku.com

You can find some of them at Akihabara, if the shop has a map. Some of the cheaper and easy to find places include PC Bomber, E-Trend, Wink, Outlet Plaza.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/6 00:10
If you want a bargain price, go for a secondhand camera. Just as good, for less the price. Akihabara back streets.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

buying cameras 2009/10/6 17:11
Does buying at the airport duty free make sense?

No, their prices tend to be in the normal to high range for domestic models. International models on the other hand, tend to be quite a bit more expensive than domestic models but will have english menus/support/documentation and an international warranty.

If you're in Japan only for a short stay, there's no point to shop at the duty free at the airport, as you can have taxes deducted anywhere. If you buy a digital camera anywhere in Tokyo ( shops are all over, especially near the large stations) you don't have to pay the taxes if you can show your passport. The only condition is to spend at least 10'001 JPY in the same shop, which would be the case for a camera!
If you go to one of the big chains (Bic Camera, Yodobashi, etc) they know how to handle it!

This isn't quite correct. You can't just shop anywhere, it has to be at stores that are specifically licensed to sell duty free. However, the big chain stores around stations in Tokyo also happen to be ones that are licensed. Bic and Yodobashi will have regular prices, and I would consider those as the baseline to compare if its cheap or not. As Sandy mentioned, look up what you want on Kakaku.com and it will direct you to small shops in Akihabara that are often quite a bit cheaper than Bic and Yodobashi.

Keep in mind that there are also some showrooms where large cameramanufacturers show their newest products (Sony building in Ginza and Canon in Shinagawa). As far as i know you can not buy cameras in these showrooms.

I'm not sure about canon, but you can buy everything on display at Sony's Ginza showroom. The last time I was there the prices were not good. Pretty much full retail on almost everything.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

One question 2009/11/6 08:36
Are the stores like PC Bomber, E-Trend, Wink, Outlet Plaza reliable?
by Erik (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes 2009/11/6 20:30
Yes, PC Bomber, E-Trend, Wink, Outlet Plaza are all reliable.

I've personally bought cameras (for myself, family and friends) from these shops, which is why I mentioned them. Unlike some other shops, I know these shops have been around for 5 years or more.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks Sandy 2009/11/7 03:44
Thanks for your reply. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D mark II next month. Cannot wait...
by Erik (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread