Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do you patch a hole in the wall? 2009/10/3 16:05
Oopsies.....I accidentally poked a hole in the wall while moving furniture. I'm renting this home, so I would like to try and repair it myself rather than be charged out the ying-yang when I move out! Patching a hole in the U.S. is quite easy, but I'm puzzled how I go about doing it here in a Japanese home. The wall is wallpapered and the whole is about one inch in diameter. Is there any way I can repair this without having to wallpaper the whole wall again? Are there repair kits that I can buy at a home store anywhere? Thanks for your help!
by OOPS! (guest)  

. 2009/10/3 23:05
The best thing you can do is to take a photograph of the hole and the wall surrounding it, and show it to a clerk at one of the "home center"s where they sell repairing kits. It really depends on the wall and hole.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

1,2,3.... if you can do it 2009/10/4 13:23
First determine what kind of wall - is it plywood or stucco.

Second, if it's plywood you will need a precisely cut plug that can be inserted into that 1" diameter hole. If it's stuccoed, you will need a stucco patching kit.

Third, you will need to find a perfectly matching *wall paper, cut to match, and affix to the wall, & apply a clear coating.

*Hardest to find is the matching wall papers. That isn't something Home Depot carry in abundance.

Suggestion: Having the mgmt fix it would resolve you from additional liabilities, unless you are confident about doing the repair yourself.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/4 16:20
Depending on the hole, you won't need extra wall paper. Also keep in mind that if you live there for a certain amount of time, the landlord will most likely replace the whole wallpaper when you move out. Japanese landlords prefer to rent their places spic and span.

Perhaps you can't read it, but this is just for reference.
http://blog.daisuke.bz/2008/03/post_119.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Security Deposit question 2009/10/4 20:52
It's not that big of a hole, so I think we'll try and attempt to fix it ourselves. I do have another question. Do Japanese landlords typically charge the tenant for all home repairs outside of normal wear and tear when they move out? I could understand being charged for the hole that we caused in the wall, but would we be charged for new wall paper throughout the house anyways? How much of the security deposit does the landlord normally keep? We are very clean people and plan on living in this house for a good five, six years (maybe more). In the United States, normal wear and tear is expected and unless there's any additional damage outside the "normal wear and tear," the tenants aren't charged. Is it the same way in Japan?
by OOPS! (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread