Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Grocery list 2009/10/5 08:40
Living in Japan what is your grocery list consist of??
by Sade (guest)  

. 2009/10/6 00:07
Bread or pastry stuffs, eggs, chicken, ground/minced beef (if on sale in the evening), and of course rice and whatever noodles I feel like eating that day.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

My list 2009/10/6 09:27
Must Have:

Dairy (Milk, Yogurt, Soy Milk, or Nomu-yogurt)
Bread / Cereals
Vegetables
Fruits (Cheaper ones such as Apples, Grapefruit, Mikan)
Noodles
Tofu
Eggs
Snacks (such as special version of Kitkat just to find out how cool or how bad they are,Ice cream)
Alcohol (I like Umeshuu or other fruit-based drinks)

Non regular items:
Miso / Konbu / Katsuo
Tsukemono
Natto

I buy many of the above items at 99yen store.
by Sunny Rock @rocknoblog.com (guest) rate this post as useful

My List 2009/10/7 03:14
Milk, natural yoghurt, bananas, frozen fruit(blueberries etc) for my breakfast snoothies!
Mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes(the nice small ones - not those horrible watery giant monsters lol)
Olives, Tinned tuna in water, potatoes, carrots. Don't eat much meat but occasionally buy minced meat for the freezer.if i'm having a fish day I'll get broccolli, hoke and miso soup wish I could be bothered to make it fresh but it's so much easier from the packets ;)
Thats pretty much it from my local. I have to get a bus or train to get all my foriegn goodies or find bread I can bear to eat and my beloved cheese!
by SS (guest) rate this post as useful

--- 2009/10/7 10:52
Is instant miso soup available in 99 yen shop?
by starlight (guest) rate this post as useful

miso 2009/10/7 10:54
starlight,

Is instant miso soup available in 99 yen shop?

generally yes
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

--- 2009/10/7 10:56
Hi yllwsmrf,
At home, I like cooking such soup as it is very convenient. If is cheaper in japan, I will buy a load home!
What about type of instant food available in 99 yen shop?
Are these shops commonly seen in various parts of Japan?

100 yen shops 2009/10/7 11:06
Are these shops commonly seen in various parts of Japan?

Yes, but they're typically known as 100 yen shops, and after tax, each item is 105 yen. Some stores sell more expensive things too.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2077.html

What about type of instant food available in 99 yen shop?

Most have quite a variety of nonperishable food, such as canned goods, candy, drinks, crackers, curry, spices, etc. Fresh food is less common. While some of it is a good deal at 105 yen, you'll find that regular supermarkets will have better prices and selection on most of the food items you'll find at the 100 yen store. Basically, I found that things sold at the 100 yen store also sold for around 100 yen at supermarket.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

--- 2009/10/7 11:12
Hi yllwsmrf,
Thanks for sharing.
Basically, I find that things are v expensive in Japan.
I have been to a supermarket in Sakura-shi where my Japanese friend lives. It sells so many things but expensive compared to my home.
In the end, I left empty-handed.

reply to this thread