Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get a credit card? 2009/10/5 19:59
I've worked at the same, stable Japanese company for the past four years. I have several bank accts, and a gaijin card and Japanese drivers license. But I can't get approved for a credit card! I was just denied by Golds Gym Jaccs the other day.

Anyone know of a company that usually approves foreigners? Or what am I doing wrong?
I applied to Saison and MUFJ today, hoping something comes back positive.
by confused (guest)  

No one? 2009/10/10 11:02
Any advice????
by confused (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/10 11:54
Speaking from my personal experience: I was successful getting JAL and ANA Cards after about three years in Japan, if I remember correctly.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/11 14:04
Honestly I think it i just luck, there seems to be no ryme or reasons from what I see.

Some people in Japan for a while don't get it, while a friend of mine from Shanghai comes over, 3 months and is approved for a JCB card.

Someone told mejust apply and apply for every possible card and sometimes you luck out.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/11 14:24
You need to have either a stable income from a recognized company or a large bank account.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/11 14:34
The guy I knew was a student living in a single apartment with three other people. SO I don't know. The bank he used was SMBC.

foreign student 2009/10/11 18:17
Foreign students need to prove they have the funds to support themselves during their study. So he probably had a large enough bank account. His frugal lifestyle shows he knows how to economize, so the bank must have thought he was a good credit risk.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/11 19:02
Which doesn't make sense, because how would the bank have access to immigration documents in proving income. You prove income by showing your home countries bank status to Immigration.

I knew this guy personally because I was one of his roommates at one point, him working 2 part time jobs at a izakaya and combini and skipping school a lot, I highly doubt he had a good stable income. I can tell you he did not economize.

On the flip side, it doesn't make sense that foreigners who actually works in Japan for companies with stable income still cannot get a credit card after so much time.

All I say it's a luck game. I would try not applying directly with the banks, as some mentioned in other forums try getting a point/department store affiliated credit card instead.

... 2009/10/11 19:22
In these times, banks in any country can't afford poor credit risks so it can't be a matter of luck. A new account has to prove he/she is credit worthy. That's just good business sense.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Your company should help 2009/10/11 23:49
I worked for a Japanese company for many years and they helped me with all sorts of things, especially renting an apartment. I only used my U.S. VISA card so I never needed a Japanese card, but I'm sure your company has close connections with a bank. They should be able to help you.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

got it 2009/11/14 22:46
Actually I got an OIOI Epos Visa. So far so good. I'm going to apply for the ETC card with it asap. I just filled it out at my local OIOI store and got approved instantly, then got a card in the mail like a month later. I also got 10% off my purchases all month. Not much but decent. HTH.
by confused (guest) rate this post as useful

got denied but what's this? 2009/11/16 21:24
Seems as though I was denied for MUFJ visa card, but I did get another card in the mail. It seems to be an IC cashing card. What exactly is this and how does it work? Why would they send this to me and not the credit card?
by dunno (guest) rate this post as useful

Got my credit card 2010/10/4 16:16
Here's my experience with Japanese credit cards, for what it's worth:
After living in Gifu-ken for 2 1/2 years, I first applied with my bank (Ogaki Kyoritsu), who turned me down, despite the fact that my boss at the town office went with me and he "knew a guy".
Next I applied with Joshin and Lawsons, where I have point cards. That didn't seem to help, because I was turned down by them too.
I finally received my Visa from the Aeon mall near my town. I asked a friend to help me fill out the application, but I did it all in my own handwriting (grab extras for when you make a mistake!). When I took it in, the kind lady accepting applications informed me that they now had a new application form, and the one I had was no longer valid. Rather than taking the form and filling it in at home, I used my old form and copied the info over to the new one. This kind lady was most helpful, and was very impressed when I said I could write all the kanji on my own. I left my application with her (as well as copies of my paperwork - foreigner card, Japanese drivers license) and hoped for the best.
About 2 weeks later I received a phone call from Aeon asking me to confirm my name and address, and confirm that I had indeed applied for a card. The entire conversation was conducted in Japanese, and I tried not to stumble on words or sound unsure.
About 2 weeks after that I received my card (along with an ETC card) and went straight to Amazon.jp to break it in.
It is possible to get a Japanese credit card as a foreigner, just keep trying and make sure you can fill the application out in Japanese and converse on the phone or in person in Japanese as well. I'm only about JLPT N4, and I did it! You can too.
Good luck,
Canadian in Gifu-ken
by Canadian in Gifu-ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Be persistent 2010/10/4 22:22
Someone suggested ANA card as a possibility earlier. When I first applied for a credit card with ANA, I was turned down immediately. They clearly didn't even bother to check properly and additionally, my name was too long for their computer system (they had to white out sama, which was printed halfway through my name, and complete it fully in handwriting). My Japanese partner called them to ask why I was rejected and dismissed their excuses, which were clearly lies. E.g. The fact I was a contract worker and only had lived at my address a short-time. Strangely, these things hadn't mattered when my partner, who despite being Japanese, never previously lived in Japan, and doesn't work, applied for and was immediately granted the same credit card. Strangely, my job and residence situation were good enough for a Japanese. Eventually, the supervisor and the call centre was summoned and admitted that I had been refused because I was foreign and not anything to do with my financial status. He apologised and approved my application. My Gold card (with no extra fee) arrived at my house 2 days later and everything has been fine since.

Just keep applying and eventually someone will consider extending you credit based on your circumstances, rather than on your name.

Good luck.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread