Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Keeping Horses in Japan? 2009/10/6 03:06
My husband was offered a position at Kyushu University. I have a horse (as well as many other small animals) and I refuse to leave them behind if we take this job. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy land in Kyushu province near Fukuoka to keep horses?
We are trying to make an informed decision and I am finding it nearly impossible to find this information online. I thank you all for any help you can provide.
P.S. I know there are quarantine periods and requirements for importing animals, that's not the concern, I need to know if I can keep them once we get them there.
by Anime Pony (guest)  

No 2009/10/6 13:13
As far as I know you can't buy land in Japan without permanent residence and almost no residential land would be zoned for livestock, and there are no barns and stables to keep your horse at like exist abroad because private horse owners are so rare as to be almost nonexistant (even the stables where you can take lessons here are so cramped horses do not get turn out and lessons are taught with up to 12 people in a class). Even if you could keep your horse, there would likely be no tack shops, and no equine vet or farrier anywhere near to keep your horse healthy, especially on kyushu. If you were going to an area with racehorse breeding or in Hokkaido there might be more options, but it is still almost impossible. -
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

Horses? 2009/10/6 20:41
According to students here at Stanford from Kyushu University there are plenty of rural farmers in adjacent towns to Fukuoka with horses. There aren't any restrictions to purchase lands, but you may get a resistance for grazing due to much of agricultural lands are restricted for agriculture. Also as in U.S. you can contract to house your horses with a stable owner. Kyushu administrator or PR administrator should have better information.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

of course 2009/10/7 12:06
of course there are horses in Kyushu, there's a race track right outside Fukuoka in Saga, they raise horses in the Kumamoto area for meat, I've seen riding clubs advertised, if money is no object than you can probably find what you need, I'd guess its going to be very expensive!
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

horses 2009/10/7 12:22
As far as I know you can't buy land in Japan without permanent residence

Anyone can buy land in Japan. There are no permanent residence or citizenship requirements. All you need is money.

and almost no residential land would be zoned for livestock,

Check into this, but zoning works diffently in Japan (or is nonexistent, I'm not really sure which). I've seen livestock raised in what I thought were residential zones.

and there are no barns and stables to keep your horse at like exist abroad because private horse owners are so rare as to be almost nonexistant (even the stables where you can take lessons here are so cramped horses do not get turn out and lessons are taught with up to 12 people in a class).

This probably depends a lot on where you live. In my prefecture there are a number of farms that offer horse riding. I don't know if they stable privately owned horses though.

Even if you could keep your horse, there would likely be no tack shops, and no equine vet or farrier anywhere near to keep your horse healthy, especially on kyushu.

I was under the impression that Kyushu, and Kumamoto in particular, had a tradition of raising horses. If only for food as wds mentioned.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread