Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese horror movies... 2009/10/8 05:31
I am a big fan!! I buy them constantly from Newburry Comics.. Some times they even have used (but perfectly fine condition) Japanese horror movies for as low as $5!! When Newburry Comics doesn't have them, I order them at Barnes And Noble for.. $20-30 depending on the movie and how new it is. That's normal seeing as how a lot of other American movies are bought for that price.

In Japan what are movie DVD prices like in Japan at the moment?

I've posted a few times saying how I will be going to Japan for an extended period of time. So seeing as how I'll actually be in Japan, I will have a much larger selection of their horror movies!! Stores here only carry more popular ones which is why I have to have stores order them online for me.

Also you need to buy a DVD player in Japan to play the DVDs from there because it's a different region? I plan to buy movies there a lot, so getting a DVD player there would be a good idea? Even though the region is different, would the DVD bought in Japan work on my laptop (Macbook bought in America)?

This question isn't as important, but does anyone know any other movies similar to Ju-On, Dark Water, Yogen.. I've watched soo many Japanese horror movies - old and new - and am just in the mood for the typical ghost horror movie tonight though I can't think of any ones I have seen. Maybe tell me your favorites?
by Kiki (guest)  

dvds 2009/10/8 18:35
In Japan what are movie DVD prices like in Japan at the moment?

Dvds typically cost from 4000-6000 yen but can be found cheaper online or on sale. Check http://www.amazon.co.jp or http://www.kakaku.com to get an idea of prices.

Also you need to buy a DVD player in Japan to play the DVDs from there because it's a different region? I plan to buy movies there a lot, so getting a DVD player there would be a good idea?

Yes, Japan is region 2 so it would be a good idea to get a player when you arrive. Cheap ones cost around 3000-4000 yen.

Even though the region is different, would the DVD bought in Japan work on my laptop (Macbook bought in America)?

Yes, you can switch the region of your computer's dvd player up to 5 times I think. It simple to do, and a dialogue box will pop up asking if you want to switch everytime you insert a dvd that is a different region from what your computer is set to. Be aware though that once you switch it the 5th time it will be locked (likely in Japanese) which you probably don't want. There is also software that will make your computer regionfree so check out that option as well.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you =) 2009/10/8 22:08
Thank you yllwsmrf!

I wonder why it locks after 5 times.. I'm going to have to look for software for macs that makes it region free. Thank you again!
by Kiki (guest) rate this post as useful

dvd region 2009/10/9 10:15
I wonder why it locks after 5 times..

I think its due to licensing. They can't allow multiple regions without increasing cost for the player.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread