Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese language schools in Japan 2009/10/8 13:31
I was looking into Languages In Action, and I wasn't sure if it was legit or not.
I was hoping for suggestions for language schools possibly in Osaka/Kyoto or Tokyo areas.
Provide websites or personal experiences please. (^-^)
(I'm from the US, looking to study Japanese in Japan.)

by Arisa (guest)  

Hello Arisa! 2009/10/10 19:55
here's a big list of language schools in tokyo
http://www.aikgroup.co.jp/j-school/english/area/section/tokyo.htm

I don't have any experience with language schools, as I decided to live in a hostfamily and get private lessons in the end.
before, I actually thought about going to a language school as well, but people said it wouldn't exactly be the best idea since you're tempted to speak english to the other students afterwards. furthermore, there are often mixed classes. means, there might also be people from china, korea etc., people from countries where they write with characters so that they might memorize the newly learned kanji in japanese faster as well. additionally, korean people have it easier to learn the grammar, as it resembles the japanese one.therefore, the pace of the lessons might be very fast in order to please the majority, which often consists of asian people. I only heard that from another language school student and I don't know if it is the same everywhere. when I looked around, there often were some statistics showing where most of the students come from. maybe you should keep an eye on that.

language schools aside: there's also the possibility to get into language courses in universities and they are said to be very good. most of them only have courses for half a year or at least about 6 weeks or so. you might want to ask the regional universities in that case. the fees might be quite high, though. Universities like Keio, Waseda and others of course offer such courses if I remember correctly.

I guess I couldn't help you a lot here, but there are so many schools out there, that it's probably difficult to make a decision =) I'm actually glad, that I didn't go to a language school in the end...^^'
by Serya rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/11 04:10
Well, I was hoping to stay in Japan and study for 2 years, and language schools were the most cost effective way to do so.
Thanks for the info though. ^-^
by Arisa (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/11 12:22
I`m now learning Japanese in a Language school, and I feel like it`s still the best option, along with a host family.

While it`s true that you`re tempted to speak english with other foreign students in the beginning (especialy if you`re a beginner), it quickly stops and you start using Japanese more often.

Also, in my school there are students from Korea and China, and they obviously are advantaged for learning Kanji, but normally, if they have a higher level in Japanese, they change classes and go to the "next level", and anyway you are not likely to be in a class only composed of Asians、actually now at my school the most commons nationalities are French and Italians...
by Tatum rate this post as useful

Oh 2009/10/11 12:32
Which language school do you go to?
I'm mostly just looking for suggestions as for where to go.

Leaving at the end of March so I'm trying to get everything finished now.
by Arisa (guest) rate this post as useful

take note 2009/10/12 07:53
depending on your motive of learning language course, you might want to check up the school if it helps you on going to a japan university if that is your motive. schools like waseda and keio are very good but they do not provide university prepatory japanese class for foreigners (study japanese take a test including some math or science depending on the course you want to go and enter an undergraduate faculty). Thus, it would be better to plan your road down ahead first in my opinion..
by kodafriends (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread